Do you know where I can find good material to train my dog to be a service dog?

1. nextgoodthing profile image60
    nextgoodthingposted 6 years ago

Do you know where I can find good material to train my dog to be a service dog?

I love dogs too.. I have an english golden retriever named Holly Hugs. She is super sweet and smart and I have trained her myself.I would like to start training her to more elaborate tasks as a future service dog...Can you help me, providing me some insight how to start?

2. Ffirebrand profile image53
    Ffirebrandposted 6 years ago

First question aware you going to bethe one to go and service with her? If not don't bother as they have to be trained by the police officer etc that are going out on patrol with the dog. That's where the sentances one man one dog comes from I think or something like that

3. TheEpicJourney profile image79
    TheEpicJourneyposted 6 years ago

Hi Nextgoodthing!  The term "service dog" is a very broad statement.  Service dogs can range from simply a dog that is a companion dog for a medical needs person to a dog that is trained in narcotics and tracking.  Because you have a golden retriever I'm going to assume you mean like a dog that goes to hospitals and makes visits to encourage the patients or maybe as an assistant dog that performs more varied tasks as you stated.  Each one requires different training and there will be different locations for information.  I would begin your search for information by asking yourself specifically what kinds of service you would like Holly to perform and then a simple google search of service dog training will provide you with a wealth of information.

working