My 8 year old, 17 lb, Maltese/Lhasa Apso mix just chewed half of a puppy non-edi

  1. MaryAnn EA profile image59
    MaryAnn EAposted 6 years ago

    My 8 year old, 17 lb, Maltese/Lhasa Apso mix just chewed half of a puppy non-edible nylabone bone.

    He seems ok, but do most non edibles pass through and how long does it take before he is out of danger?  He seems to be licking his lips a little bit more, and drinking water but not excessive.  If he poops tomorrow, is that a good sign of possibly passing the non edible nylabone?

  2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

    If your dog is eating, drinking and eliminating that is a good sign. I hope that he passed the piece of Nylabone or you took him to the veterinarian. I have never had bad luck with Nylabones but it's a good idea to monitor chewing when providing our dogs with new products. I always buy the most durable chew toys for my adult dogs, but I remember that my four year old dog did bite the end off a toy when she was a puppy. I think sometimes puppies are more vigorous chewers than adult dogs. At any rate, I guess we all learn from experience. I hope your dog is ok!

  3. alexadry profile image96
    alexadryposted 6 years ago

    Hello,  and sorry I did not respond earlier. I hope your boy is feeling better by now. It is a good idea to check the stools when your dog eliminates for signs of the chew toy. Having owned many dogs with a '' Hoover reputation'' I got used to this nasty task. However, it helps provides peace of mind.Generally it should pass within 48-72 hours if it does not get lodged in any areas in the curvy intestinal tract as it passes through..Vet's opinions vary when it comes to dogs swallowing stuff. Some vets are extra cautious and recommend x-rays right away while more conservative ones may suggest a wait and see approach. Watch for signs of trouble defecating, loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pain, hunched position, lethargy and drooling. Remember to always replace your Nylabone when it becomes too small for your dog to chew safely. Best wishes!