jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Should I get a puppy,when I have an older cat already?

1. Radikum profile image61
    Radikumposted 5 years ago

Should I get a puppy,when I have an older cat already?

2. profile image55
    Mrcaptainsirposted 5 years ago

It depends on the nature of the cat. I did, but our cat was laid back (although she did take one or two swipes at the puppy). If the cat is really old then it wouldn'tbe fair to intraduce an energetic puppy into the old cats remaining life. It really just depends on how old that cat is and the nature of the cat.

Radikumposted 5 years agoin reply to this

He's playful and chubby! But he goes through spells of like severe meaness! lol

3. PageC profile image61
    PageCposted 5 years ago

Puppies can be lots of work, need plenty of potty-breaks, and adolescent dogs can be even more challenging, so you first might want to ask yourself if you are up for the puppy!

Assuming you are, then much will depend on your cat as Mrcaptiaisir mentions. A cat who isn't too old may actually enjoy having a companion. The nice thing about bringing a puppy in is that the puppy can easily be trained to get along with the cat.

Do be aware of terriers and greyhounds with cats. Some members of these breeds may always view cats as prey.

Radikumposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Its a few week old German Shepherd? I know they get big, so I'm worried for my cat. Plus, my cat plays a lot and can be vicious sometimes.

4. profile image0
    Marntzuposted 5 years ago

depends on the breed. if its a bigger dog then probably not as a large puppy could easily injure the cat without intending to harm it.

5. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

That's a personal choice. It is easier to get a puppy or kitten when you already have another adult animal because both can usually adjust to each other easier than if you were to try to introduce an adult member of each species. I have introduced kittens to adult dogs and puppies to adult cats successfully and had them become great friends.

It also depends on your particular cat. The best way to know if your cat would be accepting is to try the animals out together. It's more difficult with a cat since most cats do not like to travel in the car, but if you can bring the puppy to your cat, that would work. Just make sure all are safe and not overly frightened. If you raised your cat or know bout his or her background then you are in the position to know whether your cat would accept a puppy.

When I got my most recent cat I took each of my dogs to meet a number of different cats over a period of months to test their reactions and the cat I ended up with is awesome with them both! All three animals were adults when they met, but the cat must have lived with dogs before to blend in so easily with them and not be afraid.

Some dogs such as huskies are notorious cat-chasers but I don't think breed is much of an issue if raised with the cat from puppyhood.