jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Puppy mothing my 7 year old

1. profile image51
    karatekaposted 6 years ago

Puppy mothing my 7 year old

I have a 5 month old lab mix and im trying to find ideas of teaching my 7 year old ways to keep him from mouthing and bitting him any answers would be appreciated.

2. Teresa Coppens profile image93
    Teresa Coppensposted 6 years ago

Is the puppy mouthing the child or vice versa?  Puppies that are teething need lots of chew toys.  They also require lots of physical attention.  Make sure the puppy is being leash trained and played with regularly with appropriate puppy toys and chew toys.  Gentle reprimands when biting anyone every time it happens will stop the behavior.  Both child and puppy need to be monitored constantly at this stage as neither is mature enough to regulate the behavior on their own.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

At 5 months of age your puppy should be well on its way to learning bite inhibition. Most of the teeth should be in, and teething should not be much of a contributing factor. Use appropriate chew toys such as Nylabone products and real bones, such as those made by Red Barn. Do NOT use reprimands and do NOT squeal when the puppy bites. Rather, stop interaction in a matter-of-fact way. Resume after 15-30 seconds. When the puppy is mouthing, give it the chew bones to chew on instead. Do this in a matter-of-fact way. Sometimes puppies and adult dogs as well mouth for attention. Make sure you do not reward and reinforce this behavior by giving the dog attention for this behavior. Instead, give your puppy attention when s/he is not asking for it and reward sitting behavior with attention so that this becomes your puppy's default behavior to get attention Leave hard chew toys out at all times to satisfy your puppy's chewing urges. Supervise all interactions between your child and the puppy and discourage rough play which can excite the puppy and lead to biting.

4. profile image51
    karatekaposted 6 years ago

Thanks I try to keep him busy and my son understands not to rile him up. He has lots of chew toys he is getting better (only had him for 4 weeks). Thanks again

working