jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you stop a puppy from chewing furniture even after bitter spray is on it?

1. GioiaDegenaars profile image67
    GioiaDegenaarsposted 6 years ago

How do you stop a puppy from chewing furniture even after bitter spray is on it?

No matter how much play, toys, bones or bitter spray  I give my 10 month old puppy he keeps chewing furniture!  Any suggestions on how to stop puppies from chewing up the house?  We've tried everything!

2. jandee profile image59
    jandeeposted 6 years ago

Pick puppy up stare in his eyes really close and say 'No'  'No' firmly . Takes ages but the message will be  received.
    P.S I wouldn't part with the table that my son made for me when 13 and has the double memory of puppy bites from little devils over the years......

3. Nights Dream profile image59
    Nights Dreamposted 6 years ago

My belated wife showd me a way. It worked on our puppy. When a dog nips or chewes something it's not supposed to, place your hand sideways across his mouth. Go to the back of the mouth for this. Don't be rough with it. Say No or whatever command you use. My wife's first babysitter was 2 german shepards. Like I said, it worked for us. Good luck!

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Give him acceptable chew toys such as Nylabones, natural bones (clean, white bones such as those produced by Red Barn). Make sure he is getting plenty of exercise and mental stimulation, for example in the form of interactive toys and positive reinforcement training. No need to punish; in fact this is almost always counter-productive. You can also use clicker training to teach him not to chew on things, but you need to find an instructor who can show you how to do it.