jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can a moose live in Florida, if not why not and has anyone ever had one as a pet

1. Charlu profile image80
    Charluposted 6 years ago

Can a moose live in Florida, if not why not and has anyone ever had one as a pet?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6362379_f260.jpg

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Are you seriously wanting a moose for a "pet?" I firmly believe wildlife belongs in the wild. The normal habitat of the moose is the temperate or subarctic areas of the northern hemisphere. They can become aggressive, especially if they get a disease caused by a parasite that invades the brain, or when habituated to people and denied food - just like other wild animals.

Moose are herbivores and feed on vegetation - a lot of vegetation, as you can imagine. I don't know if Florida has the grasslands and woody trees necessary to sustain a moose without the moose having to resort to chewing on peoples' landscaping! They especially like the new shoots of willow, birch, aspen and maple.

They also like to cool themselves in the water, and I know Florida has plenty of water, but the water in Florida would contain new predators for the moose - alligators, crocodiles and snakes!

The moose has been considered in past centuries as a possible beast of burden to carry the mail in Sweden, but that idea was forsaken due to the aggressiveness of the moose during the rutting period. The Russians also sought to domesticate the moose to study its behavior and the process of domestication - the Russians are the ones who domesticated the silver fox during the middle of the last century, initially for the purpose of creating tamer animals for the fur industry.

I strongly encourage you not to bring a moose to Florida. Again, I believe wild animals belong in their natural habitats. If you want a domesticated wild animal, look for a silver fox! Or, if you just want a very large pet, get a Great Dane!

3. Caveman Etris profile image72
    Caveman Etrisposted 6 years ago

Moose are not native to Florida or other subtropical areas.They are a northern species. Florida is warm all year round and has higher humidity than northern regions where Moose are found.  It is not that they can't survive there but it is unnatural for them. Like any other animal, people have kept them but more like deer that are kept in large natural enclosures. It is rare because of restrictions and the need for proper land and facilities.Tame Moose are typically kept on preserves and are in large enclosures for part of the year. I had seen some myself when in a preserve and petting zoo but the Moose were not part of the petting area. They can be tamed as any other mammal but can also be defensive when needed or threatened. I would not advise the common person to keep Moose. Below is a Moose farm preserve where many Moose are kept. The site talks about their Moose and has photos.                                                      http://moosefarm.newmail.ru/e030.htm

4. Charlu profile image80
    Charluposted 6 years ago

Dubuque  just so you know I'm not considering one for a pet even though there would be plenty of room I was just wondering if anyone had ever had one as a pet  I could NEVER keep an animal confined like that. Shoot I can't even crate or cage my dogs.  Thanks for all the info though, they just seem like such docile animals. Then again so do deer until you run across a pissed off buck.

Thanks Caveman for the info and the link the pictures were awesome.

I don't normally answer my own questions I just wanted to clarify

working