jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What type of snake killed Cleopatra?

1. Myn Is Me profile image70
    Myn Is Meposted 6 years ago

What type of snake killed Cleopatra?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6473588_f260.jpg

2. hecate-horus profile image80
    hecate-horusposted 6 years ago

An asp?  I'm guessing.  That's the snake I hear the most about in Egyptian history.

3. cmlindblom profile image76
    cmlindblomposted 6 years ago

I heard it was a cobra but then looking into it I also hear it was poisen and not a snake. Not to about ti though.

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

It was a poisonous asp, a Cobra or a horned viper. However, it is also speculated that Cleopatra may have killed herself with a hairpin dipped in poison!

"Asp" is an ancient term used to refer to a venomous snake. The most common venomous snake of Cleopatra's time and the one that is likely to have killed her, if indeed she was killed by a snake was the Egyptian cobra.

Cleopatra tested various poisons on convicted criminals to see which was the most effective for execution of criminals who were deemed worthy of a more dignified death. She concluded that the venom of the asp was the least painful and effective, causing sleepiness without spasms.

Cleopatra is also rumored to have died of an overdose of opium and hemlock, but this story is less known than the snake account.

5. Historia profile image80
    Historiaposted 6 years ago

The snake that killed Cleopatra was probably a cobra.

According to legend, Cleopatra killed herself by clutching an asp to her bosom and letting it bite her.

The name 'asp' was often used for various kinds of snake in ancient times. It was also the specific name for the poisonous Egyptian cobra, which was often used to kill condemned prisoners. This snake can grow up to two meters long. It has a narrower hood than the better-known Indian Cobra. The Egyptians regarded the cobra as sacred and used it as a symbol for royalty.

working