jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why are people superstitious about cats?

1. Myn Is Me profile image71
    Myn Is Meposted 5 years ago

Why are people superstitious about cats?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6512934_f260.jpg

2. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

Boy - the answer to this one is lost in ancient times. The Egyptians worshiped a cat god. I think that cats being more mysterious and aloof than dogs, and often silent. That makes us take noticed, and often be surprised. Perhaps that's why.

3. afriqnet profile image51
    afriqnetposted 5 years ago

I think it is something that has been carried from the previous generations that cats are associated with soccery like in the African Setting many people would be afraid of black cats at night ....but I think its all in the mind they are not really that bad.

4. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Cats used to be viewed as a witches familiar. An animal related to a witches power or a morphed witch itself. They were viewed as a blame for disease, famine, strife, and suffering. Mostly in Europe. In Egypt, they worshiped cats.

5. Historia profile image79
    Historiaposted 5 years ago

People have always been superstitious about cats Since the days of ancient Egypt, cats have always been regarded as rather special. The Egyptians thought of them as sacred, largely because they were needed to keep down the rats that ate their grain.

Special cats were mummified and when a temple cat or family cat died there was a general period of mourning. In certain parts of Asia, men believed that they became cats when they died. Some people even believed that if a cat reached the age of ten, it would be able to talk. In Europe, black cats were always linked with witches, but some people still think that a black cat will bring them luck.

working