jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Which Dog Breeds Make The Best Pets For Children?

1. PhoenixV profile image74
    PhoenixVposted 5 years ago

2. Danieljohnston profile image87
    Danieljohnstonposted 5 years ago

A lot of small dogs are great with children. I like Pomeranians.  As long as dogs are trained right, most are good with children and will not drive you insane - a lot of it is personality based rather than breed based.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Golden Retrievers are great for children, as well as labrador retrievers. Generally these dogs have a lot of energy and get along well with children. They're sturdy enough for children and Golden Retrievers especially are generally very resilient dogs.

Newfoundlands are also excellent with children but they are large dogs so you need a large car! They also drool.

Beagles, pugs and Havanese are also excellent choices if you prefer a smaller breed.

There are two books I recommend to my clients for determining which breed is best suited to their individual personality and lifestyle:

1.  Tortora, Daniel F.  The Right Dog for You:  Choosing a Breed That Matches Your Personality, Family and Lifestyle. New York:  Simon and Schuster, 1980.

2.  Walkowicz, Chris.  The Perfect Match: a Buyer's Guide to Dogs.  New York:  Wiley Publishing, Inc., 1996.

4. jamiebeau profile image59
    jamiebeauposted 5 years ago

I believe for both companionship and protective endeavors you can't beat the English Shepherd breed as a family dog. Loyal, dedicated to the family these amazingly intelligent dogs are great at play, but unlike some of the other herding breeds they have an "off switch" which makes them a very gentle dog as well.