jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What dog breeds are the most trainable and why?

1. Linda Bliss profile image92
    Linda Blissposted 6 years ago

What dog breeds are the most trainable and why?

2. habee profile image94
    habeeposted 6 years ago

As a former dog trainer, I've worked with numerous dog breeds. From my experience, Great Danes are the most trainable. I'm not saying they're the most intelligent breed, but they're smart. What really makes them so easy to train, however, is their attitude. They're extremely willing, and they thrive to please their human leader. The Danes I've worked with seem to lack the "stubborn streak" that I've seen in some other breeds, and they're extremely patient.

3. iskra1916 profile image60
    iskra1916posted 6 years ago

I am no expert but in my opinion I'd look to the breeds that the likes of the rescue services, military & police use as working dogs.  These would be Labrador Retrievers, German Shepherds/Alsations, Spaniels etc

4. Minn.purplerose profile image60
    Minn.purpleroseposted 6 years ago

I've trained a German Shepherd, Collie, Bischon and Border Collie.  All enjoyed and did well in obedience class.  Actually, the real question is "How well can YOU be trained to train your puppy?"  It just takes time, patience, repetition and lots of love.

5. Levertis Steele profile image84
    Levertis Steeleposted 6 years ago

I do not know which dog breeds are the most trainable, but I cannot imagine guide dog schools choosing anything but the best to guide blind people in dangerous places like the streets. Again, the best dog depends on the kind of training needed to accommodate a need and the dog's abilities and dependability. "Breeds best suited for guide dog work include, in order of importance, German shepherds, Labrador retrievers, and golden retrievers."
    Source: World Book Encyclopedia

6. profile image0
    onlookerposted 6 years ago

We've trained our dogs and as I've heard Labrador and German Shepperd are one of the most intelligent and obedient ones to obey, grasp and follow orders

7. Bravo Lelouch profile image58
    Bravo Lelouchposted 6 years ago

German Shepherd because it makes a lovely family companion and is especially used in police and military uses. But other breeds such as poodle, golden retriever etc are also most trainable.