jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are some ideas to keep birds from flying into clean windows?

1. KellyPittman profile image82
    KellyPittmanposted 5 years ago

What are some ideas to keep birds from flying into clean windows?

My sister has big pretty windows in her new home but has numerous birds that are crashing into them and dying.  EVEN when the drapes are closed. It's so sad, really.  Do you have any suggestions?

2. Lucky Cats profile image79
    Lucky Catsposted 5 years ago

It's very sad when this happens...little things die...I suggest hanging wind chimes right outside the window or placing stickers or streamers inside the window...things that move but are foreign to birds so as not to 'attract them'  but, rather, scare them away.  It might help to note the natural habitat; what and where the birds tend to alite outside...and areas they seem to like...make your detractant the exact opposite (if possible) of those things.   good luck.  BTW, I'm doing wildlife rescue...nestlings, fledglings, and other injured birds and am learning so much about them...amazing facts I had no idea of...such as:  The old wives' tale that you cannot touch a baby bird that has fallen from it's nest...to replace it very carefully back into the nest...because the parents will 'smell' your scent and abandon the baby bird....NOT TRUE....birds have no ability to smell....they don't have that sensory organ...how about that?  Good Luck.

3. aviannovice profile image91
    aviannoviceposted 5 years ago

Lucky Cats has said it all.  I did my share of rehab work, and I can't tell you any more than what she said.

4. libby1970 profile image71
    libby1970posted 5 years ago

Keep your curtains pulled over the window or put up blinds. Birds will instictively fly right into any window because they think it's wide open space! They don't know it's gonna stop them dead in their tracks! Keep the window covered someway..curtain or blinds! It can kill a bird or wound it badly if it keeps happening! Good luck