jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

How do you Stop a Dog over 1 year old that Destroys Things by Chewing?

1. J.S.Matthew profile image83
    J.S.Matthewposted 5 years ago

How do you Stop a Dog over 1 year old that Destroys Things by Chewing?

My parent's have a dog that is about 14-15 months old and he chews all his toys and just about anything else that can be destroyed. I don't think it is anxiety. Is there a way to stop this? Any suggestions?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6707926_f260.jpg

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image57
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Make sure he is getting plenty of exercise and mental stimulation, Ari.

1. He needs a minimum of a once daily walk OFF the property for his mental health.
    2. Make sure he has hard toys to chew on such as Nylabones and real bones such as those manufactured by Red Barn in the USA. You can also give him carrots to chew on if he likes them.
    3. He should have a veterinary exam to make sure he does not have any dental pain or anything going on that would cause excessive chewing.
    4. Train him to do basic "obedience" and tricks to provide mental stimulation.

If he doesn't have anxiety, the best thing to do is channel his energy with plenty of physical and mental exercise.

You sure he isn't frustrated 'cause your parents make him wear silly hats? ; )

Sounds like he just needs a new hobby. : )

J.S.Matthewposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for these great tips! I will forward this information to my mother.  JS~

3. DrMark1961 profile image100
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

I agree with Dubuquedogtrainer, if it is the dog in the photo he looks like he needs lots of exercise. Are your parents able to walk him? If he is already desctructive I would think at least two walks daily, and not just around the block to go potty. That dog needs to get out and run! Do they live anywhere they can get him into a sport like Agility? They would have to teach him basic obedience, a great help, and he would get a lot of running/mental stimulation.
    Good luck with him, however they decide to go.

J.S.Matthewposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi DrMark! Yes, my parents have decent land that's fenced in and the dog gets plenty of exercise, although he might be a little overweight (dad's fault)! I don't know of any dog sports in the area. I will have to research more. Thanks for your input!

2. DrMark1961 profile image100
      DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome. Tell your dad that having a big fenced area is not enough for a dog, though. I see some really psycho dogs locked up all the time, even whe the family owns an acre or two.

working