jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (15 posts)

Do animals or pets gets embarassed?

1. nmdonders profile image84
    nmdondersposted 5 years ago

Do animals or pets gets embarassed?

2. teyeger82 profile image77
    teyeger82posted 5 years ago

I think dogs get embarassed. If I scold my dogs for something, they slink away with their head held down. They become very submissive. My cat, on the other hand, has the "whatcha gonna do about it" attitude. She does not get embarassed and is usually quite proud of the mischief she gets into.

3. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 5 years ago

Cats definitely get self-conscious and embarrassed.  Have you ever seen a cat lick their shoulder?  It's a sure sign that they're embarrassed!

4. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

I agree w/ faceless. Cats feign grooming when they are embarrassed. That's why cats are cool!

5. nochance profile image93
    nochanceposted 5 years ago

My dog gets really embarrassed when I catch her sneaking away with food from the table or if she's been bad for some other reason.

1. cat on a soapbox profile image96
      cat on a soapboxposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I know! They look  so sheepish and also tuck and tightly wag their tails. The look clearly says "guilty!"

6. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 5 years ago

It is difficult to know if  other animals suffer emotions in the same way as us.  It has been observed that, kingfishers, if they miss a minnow, return to the perch and start to preen themselves, as if totaly denying the incident.

1. nmdonders profile image84
      nmdondersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's funny, and also interesting.

7. littlepiggy profile image61
    littlepiggyposted 5 years ago

You know, I have to think that they do. But I'm not sure how we would know the intricacies of their emotions. Are there some scientific studies re: cats grooming themselves as an emotional response? Interesting stuff.

8. zsobig profile image82
    zsobigposted 5 years ago

They do, very much. If you spend loads of time with them and you teach them to a lot of things, then you will see them get embarrassed once you scold them because of forgetting some important rule. I have 2 lovely cats and the younger one is very well-behaved, but once she jumps onto the table (meanwhile trying to catch a fly) and I scold her, she markedly looks ashamed and after a minute she comes to beg for pardon by nuzzling my leg. I love her!

9. cheetah786 profile image61
    cheetah786posted 5 years ago

cats definitely get embrassed.. my mom luv cats, but i hate cats. when i enter home our cat hide and dont come out until i remain in home.

10. fitmom profile image84
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

Most definitely. My husband's childhood dog was a Golden Retriever and would get shaved in the summers. When he came home from these butcher haircuts, he would hide under the kitchen table. Poor thing! He was so embarrassed that his beautiful hair was gone.

11. jenniferrpovey profile image92
    jenniferrpoveyposted 5 years ago

I've had enough situations when I've fallen off a horse through no fault of the horse...their reaction is a confused mix of 'why did you get off' and 'mom, what did I doooo'.

They definitely get embarrassed. (Now if it IS their fault, you get smug trotting away, tail high *eyes a certain Quarter Horse*).

12. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 5 years ago

Cats and dogs do get embarrassed when they failed in their supposedly actions. Their feelings and emotions are similar to human being. These domestic animals have their furs on their body which resembles our clothes. The furs keep them warm. Hence, they don't need any clothes. Be careful of cats and dogs emotions. read more

13. JamesGrantSmith profile image59
    JamesGrantSmithposted 4 years ago

That is an interesting question.

The answer is potentially because scientists have shown that animals have some form of feelings and thus could potentially feel animal version of embarrassment.