Does your family insult fat or disabled people and how does it make you feel?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

Does your family insult fat or disabled people and how does it make you feel?

2. kaltopsyd profile image81
    kaltopsydposted 13 years ago

No my family does NOT. If they did, I will be embarrassed by their insensitivity.

3. Jaggedfrost profile image59
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

Oh I am tickled pink and I parade them every where they might give offense because I am so proud.  They shave their heads and brand archaic symbols on their arms to show solidarity.  Isn't it so wonderful?

4. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 13 years ago

I feel that any kind of shallow judgment is completely uncalled-for, and luckily my family does not participate in making those kinds of judgments...nor my friends, for that matter, at least not around me if they want to stay that way wink. The most recent issue I've had is when my son (who had just come from a house where my ex and his girlfriend are the primary influences) called the dog a retard during play. He's four years old and doesn't yet understand what this means, but he now knows that he is not to use the term again under any circumstances. My ex's now-deceased sister had Downs syndrome and my niece has Trisomy 13, and I cringe to think of him growing up thinking it's okay to use now-derogatory words to try to bring other people down.

5. profile image0
    jasper420posted 13 years ago

I have twin who is doing just that it makes me sick to think peopple can be so fast to judge others they realy need to take a look at themselves take there own inventorys mabey then theyll see there not perfect eaither

6. puebloman profile image61
    pueblomanposted 13 years ago

No my family does not insult  fat or disabled people. What a stupid question. Don't you have anything better to do with your time?

7. wvierra profile image60
    wvierraposted 13 years ago

I am so proud of my family that we do not make such negative comments or make fun of people that are having to deal with what life had given them that they themselves had no control.
    We all have our problems rather if would be physical or emotional and to kick people would be more like kicking yourself.

puebloman:
    I have a question for you!, If you think this is a stupid question and had nothing better but make negative remarks then why did you bother clicking threw to answer this question? Nobody is twisting your arm to put your two cents in, so if you thought this going in why did you not pass this question up and move on to the next?
    That is just my take on your answer, nothing personal towards you.
    may god bless you all!

8. susanlang profile image61
    susanlangposted 13 years ago

No...my family worries about fat and disabled people. Eating disorders are the #1 reason most people are fat. That alone is reason enough to worry about them.

9. H.C Porter profile image79
    H.C Porterposted 13 years ago

There are certain people within my family that DO make crude and/or cruel comments about people that are over weight or disabled, intending it to be a joke. Although I have never been overweight, I have been on the receiving end of comments that were intended as jokes-but I was never the one who was laughing. I have always believed that when anyone pokes fun of another person for physical differences, it shows weakness, insecurity and ignorance of that person.
    Not only do I feel embarrassed for a family member’s cruelty, I get irritated and angry when the comments continue to come from their mouths. What I have asked these family members is, “How can you say things that are obviously only intended to inflict pain on someone”? I have asked them if they can recall all the afternoons I came home in tears, because of something that someone said about my appearance, and how angry they became because I was hurting so badly. Why say something that attacks another person? Why knowingly make comments that when heard can only do one thing which is to hurt someone whom is undeserving of such judgment? It makes no sense to me.
    Unless there is someone who is the definition of perfection, people should really rethink the way that they are thinking when it comes to the way that they perceive and judge individuals who may look a little different that they are. We don’t know what others have been through-what genes they have inherited or what they may be experiencing in their lives-it’s better to leave the judgment up to God and worry about improving ourselves and bettering the world with kindness-not adding toxins with cruelty and uncompassionate comments.

10. profile image52
    johnaroseposted 13 years ago

This is a bit difficult to say but, I'll say it.

Of course it is wrong to joke and poke fun at people who are over-weight. I am one of them.

But, if you are so hung up on the subject that you find fault in everyone else's manners on the subject, you may not only have an eating disorder, but an emotional-mental problem as well.

I know of what I speak. Get on with your life, stop judging others, and focus on your many attributes rather than the one issue of "am I perfect". ,

11. profile image57
    NR63BL80posted 13 years ago

I have a boyfriend who was hit by a tain and survived it.  He has a brain injury and has memoy loss short and long term.  His family sees him in a different light than I do.  I see the person inside they see what they want to and run him down.  It is rough for him but with tlc we get past it.  Others out in public tend to judgw him so he gets to them first.  Then people tend to judge him more.  Whic is not right,  but hey that is society for you judgemental

12. Alaster profile image58
    Alasterposted 13 years ago

We make fun of fat people, but not disabled people that's just mean. Fat people however are hilarious.

13. profile image53
    NY-Injury-Lawyerposted 13 years ago

Normally overweight or disabled person are victims of discrimination at their workplace.

At home, most of the people do not since they are part of their family. However, there are cases where step-moms and step-fathers are reported to abuse/discriminate against their step-children at home especially if the child is disabled one.

14. ecugirl2009 profile image60
    ecugirl2009posted 13 years ago

I briefly dated a guy who wouldn't insult people to their face, but would make rude comments to me about them. It was so embarrassing, and I was shocked that he was so insensitive.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)