jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (14 posts)

Cats or Dogs?

1. btrbell profile image91
    btrbellposted 5 years ago

Cats or Dogs?

Many people describe themselves as "A dog person" or "A cat person" Why do you think that these people feel that there has to be a distinction?

2. PAPA-BEAR profile image60
    PAPA-BEARposted 5 years ago

Cats, for they take themselves for walks and do not bark at every opportunity

3. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 5 years ago

I love all animals but if I have to chose then it would be my dogs everytime!! I don't have any experience of having a cat as a pet, so I can't really say much about them, but dogs I do know very well and they're awesome!!

4. HendrikDB profile image61
    HendrikDBposted 5 years ago

Dogs - they want love and they give love.

btrbellposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Having had both dogs and cats, I totally agree with you about dogs but I will add that cats can be extremely loving and affectionate as well! Thanks for answering!

5. bizzymom profile image72
    bizzymomposted 5 years ago

I am definitely a dog person; I have a beautiful Yorkshire Terrier.  Dogs become a part of the family quite easily.  They express their love and communicate in their own way.  However, I think cats are okay too!

6. billips profile image74
    billipsposted 5 years ago

I think people make a distinction because cats and dogs have very different personalities, and so are appealing to different people.  Cats are more independent.  They give their affection on their own terms.  They definitely need less care, and this can be very attractive to people who want a pet but haven't much time to devote to it.  Dogs on the other hand need a great deal of attention.  They can be trained, and can take a more active part in family life.  They have protective instincts which are an asset.  Dogs are extremely loyal and devoted, and show it.  They are great companions on walks and hikes.  I do love cats, but am definitely a dog person.

I agree totally. I got a cat because I didn't have enough room and wasn't home enough for a dog. But I was surprised....cats demand time and attention, too! Now if only I could get them to hike with me! Thanks for answering!

7. Thundermama profile image89
    Thundermamaposted 5 years ago

Both, I can't choose. We have one of each and they both bring something lovely to the family. Our dog is our loyal companion and protector and our cat, though aloof at times, is wonderful quiet company.

8. Midlife Magic profile image63
    Midlife Magicposted 5 years ago

I used to be a cat person.  Then I bought a dog for my son when he was about 13 and he decided that he preferred girls.  So now I have a dog and I LOVE having a dog.  I never thought I would, but I do.

That's funny! I was a dog person until I "inherited" my daughter's cat!
      Thanks for answering!

9. rfmoran profile image88
    rfmoranposted 5 years ago

I am terribly allergic to cats so it's easy for me to make a distinction. I am a dog person. But i like cats - i just can't be near them.

10. joyfuldesigns profile image58
    joyfuldesignsposted 5 years ago

That's a good question.  Perhaps its because many people for some reason simply prefer one or over the other, but it seems like most people do like both, they just have a favorite.  I tend to lean more towards cats, they just seem cleaner to me.

11. austinhealy profile image72
    austinhealyposted 5 years ago

I've had cats and i've had dogs. I had cats before I had any dog, but once I had a dog, there was no going back. A dog can be such a loving animal it just blows your mind. and honestly, they don't ask for much in return. A dog is always happy to see you. A dog enjoys your company and lets you know. A dog likes to play with you, and you'll get tired of it way before the dog does. A dog is in most instances a wonderful companion for children and older people. And sadly, your dog will be there when everyone else has failed you. Did I mention I'm a dog person ? I once saw a bumper sticker that read :" Dogs are people too!" Loved it !

working