jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

What is the best way to prevent your dog from burning its pads on hot asphalt?

1. SkySlave profile image84
    SkySlaveposted 5 years ago

What is the best way to prevent your dog from burning its pads on hot asphalt?

2. Deep Metaphysical profile image71
    Deep Metaphysicalposted 5 years ago

Dogshoes? tongue No seriously, you can use Tuff Pad or Tuf-Foot. It's like a medication, made up of mostly natural ingredients and it helps to toughen up the sore or cracked or burnt pads of your best friend.

SkySlaveposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ive never heard of that, i may just give that a try. Thanks!

3. DrMark1961 profile image98
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

You can buy dog shoes from Amazon.com but I really recommend that you take your dog for a long walk in the early morning when the heat from the asphalt is not a problem. The damage to his pads is not the main problem. The asphalt gives off a lot off heat for many hours after the sun is set and since dogs do not sweat as easily as we do they are likely to overheat. The pad protectors will not keep your dog from heat stroke.

thats a very good point. I usually bring extra water with me to poor on my dogs back and head to try to help him stay cool, although in not sure how well it works because hes always panting.

2. DrMark1961 profile image98
      DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I just noticed you are in LV. Heat stroke is a much more common problem there so the asphalt booties are a bad idea. Just take him out REALLY early.

3. SkySlave profile image84

Yes it gets very hot here in the summer. It was almost 106 yesterday. Early mornings might be the only way. Thanks for the input!

4. vegaswriter profile image58
      vegaswriterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Early Morning walks are the best bet, late evening walks can be okay too.  Here in Vegas in the summer the pavement can be 150 degrees by early afternoon and is hottest later in the afternoon. Hotter than the air temp. from soaking up the sun.

working