What is the best way to disinfect pigeon feces?

1. breathe2travel profile image80
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

What is the best way to disinfect pigeon feces?

We've had a homing pigeon visit the past couple of days. We've fed it and given it water. It seems happy to roost on our back porch.  While it's quite beautiful, I know pigeons carry disease. It's pooped on our back porch (eww) and I want to pour bleach on the entire surface! Also - do we need to bleach the plastic bowls used for water? Or use more severe cleaning, like throwing it away? We've contacted the homing pigeon group indicated on the bird's tracking tag, and expect a call today or tomorrow from its owner, a state to our west. What do you suggest for disinfecting our back porch?

2. Melissa A Smith profile image98
    Melissa A Smithposted 5 years ago

How much poop? If it bothered me, I'd just spray a diluted bleach solution on the spot where the poop is (1 tablespoon per 1 gallon) after removing any other debris with a broom. Let is sit for 10 minutes and spray down. Or you can use hydrogen peroxide at 1:9 parts water. I don't see why you would need to sanitize the bowls, but you don't have to throw it away. It's easily sanitized with a bleach or vinegar solution.

3. Ann1Az2 profile image69
    Ann1Az2posted 5 years ago

That depends on what the floor of your back porch is made of. Bleach ruins most wood floors. Also, I read somewhere (I can't remember where) that plastic can't be sterilized. This is one reason why surgical instruments aren't made of plastic and needles are thrown away. Once the bird returns to its owner, I'd throw the bowls away.

Getting back to the floor of the porch - If its made of wood, I'd ask someone who is an expert at a lumber yard, or Home Depot (one of those types of stores) and see if they have something you can put on the floor that will disinfect it.

If the floor is concrete, tile, or linoleum, bleach should work.

working