jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Can dogs suffer from high cholesteroll?

1. billd01603 profile image87
    billd01603posted 5 years ago

Can dogs suffer from high cholesteroll?

We have a 4 year old Lab. My wife is always feeding him table scraps, chicken and beef fat and the like. On his birthday and the anniversary of his adoption, she buys chicken and beef liver for him. She says dogs in the wild prize organ meet. Can anybody help me with this

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Yes. And also cancer, heart disease, and so many other ailments that effect human beings. I have learned my lesson about this. My little dachshund died of a liver tumor when she was 15 because I'm sure it was because of her diet.

3. DrMark1961 profile image100
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

I am no expert on this so I have to qoute EttingerĀ“s Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine (2nd edition). According to them, "unlike in humans, hypercholesterolemia rarely poses a health risk in dogs and cats. Specific therapy is indicated only if a high level is documented..." There is an idiopathic condition of Miniature Schnauzers that makes them more sensitive to fats, but if you are talking about the Lab in the photo there should be no problem. 
    But, to avoid a bout of pancreatitis, you should give a treat in moderation. I give my dog fat trimmings a few times a week, as a special treat, but only a small amount at feeding. Never too much at once. She doesnt care much about her birthday anyway!

4. JayeWisdom profile image92
    JayeWisdomposted 5 years ago

Yes, dogs can have high cholesterol levels from eating too much fat. A dog isn't going to have a heart attack like a human might from clogged arteries, but high lipid levels can cause hyperlipidemia (with seizures and neurological problems) or pancreatitis, which is life-threatening.  Some breeds are more prone to these problems than others. My dog (a miniature schnauzer, one of the breeds with a tendency to develop pancreatitis) has been seriously ill with it twice. I keep her on a very low-fat diet now. You might want to ask your dog's vet if labs are high risk for hyperlipidemia or pancreatitis.

1. DrMark1961 profile image100
      DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Actually Jaye the Miniature Schnauzer is not one of the breeds, it is the ONLY breed that suffers from idiopathic hyperlipidemia. Rotts and Labs may have problems, but nothing as severe as a Schnauzer, and no other breeds have problems.

5. agilitymach profile image97
    agilitymachposted 5 years ago

One of my shelties is on a low fat diet to control cholesterol. It affects his eyes and leaves cholesterol deposits on his cornea.  This causes pain and "pits" on his cornea and could eventually cause vision issues.  I cannot remember the name of this disease, but it is controlled with a low fat diet.

Most dogs in the US suffer from obesity, however, due to people overfeeding and over-treating their dogs. If the dog in the picture is your dog, it looks to be overweight, and possibly quite overweight. smile  Here is a video link to show you quickly how to tell if your dog needs to lose a few pounds.

Being overweight can cause some very serious health issues and will also affect your pocketbook with vet bills.  smile