What does it mean when a cat pees on you?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Daughter Of Maat profile image95
    Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

What does it mean when a cat pees on you?

One of my cats has the stangest behavior. Occassionally, he will jump up on your lap, only to urinate. Does anyone know why? or how to stop it/

2. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 12 years ago

typically this is a cats way of telling you something is wrong.  When our male cat did that before, we took him to the vet and he was having some kidney issues that required a special diet.  Once we got the diet under control and his health issues cleared he didn't urinate on us anymore. 

A male cat will spray or "mark" if they are not neutered. Typically they don't go "on you", but will spray around the house etc.  Having your pet fixed can help if that's the problem, but if he's urinating on you chances are it is probably something more than just a behavior issue and he should be examined.

3. Amber Killinger profile image85
    Amber Killingerposted 12 years ago

Oh, that is very strange. I haven't heard of that issue in particular. I've heard of something similar...don't know if this will help or not.

I heard of one case where a cat would pee in the woman's suit case, if she left the suitcase out and open. The woman figured out the reason was that the cat hated it when she left on business trips, leaving the cat behind. The cat associated the suitcase and her packing her clothes, with her leaving. So to show his dissatisfaction with her leaving, he would pee in her suitcase. This included if she had it open on her bed with clothes in it, in the middle of packing for a trip! So she learned to keep the suitcase hidden in the closet and never leave it out when the cat had access to the room.

I had one cat that did something kind of similar. He always used the litterbox, faithfully, EXCEPT when me and my boyfriend (at the time) went out of town for a couple of days. Without fail, when we were gone, he would pee in the bathtub. Of all things to pee in or on, I guess we could count ourselves lucky that at least this was easy to clean up. This cat leaned a little toward the nervous side, so I believe that he was uneasy and nervous without us being home, maybe even scared, and this was his way of showing his discomfort.

I also knew a couple that had recently been married. The husband had a cat named Wednesday prior to the marriage. After getting married and the wife moving in, Wednesday started peeing on the wife's pillow; never on HIS pillow. Only on the wife's pillow. The wife always thought it was because Wednesday  knew that she (the wife) didn't like her (the cat). So this cat was showing distaste for the wife by peeing on the wife's pillow.

Some cats will pee anywhere other than the litterbox if they don't like the litter or if their litterbox isn't as clean as they require it.

I can guarantee you that your cat is trying to tell you something. The trick is to figure out what.

So as a suggestion, maybe try to figure out if something happens prior to the episodes where the cat pees on you. Are you gone for some length of time? Have you recently disciplined your cat? Is the cat box dirty? Have you just had a guest over that the cat doesn't care for?

Good luck! I hope you figure it out.

1. Alexia Sil profile image55
      Alexia Silposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am a woman. The cat started doing this when I was with my boyfriend at the time. We're not together anymore and the cat stays with my ex. He will pee on the side where another female lays. Even switching sides, doesn't fail to pee only on HER side.

4. Frieda Babbley profile image81
    Frieda Babbleyposted 12 years ago

I know they do it to mark territory and to express jealousy by spraying.  But If this is happening after your cat jumps on your lap, I believe it is a kidney issue.  My friends' cat was having that same problem.  It's definitely something you want to take your cat to the vet about, and hopefully some tests will show what's going on medically.  I don't think it's a personality thing, nor is it personal (accept to say your cat wants some help so is coming to you to get it).  Hope this helps.

5. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 12 years ago

The only time my cat ever urinated on me is when I put him in his crate to take him somewhere, and that was from stress due to his dislike for the crate and leaving home.

6. nancynurse profile image70
    nancynurseposted 11 years ago

They are marking their territory on you or rather you are theres.  This is per my sister that owns a siamese cat. I do not have one myself.

7. SidKemp profile image84
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

In general, if you live alone, or if this is your own cat, it is a sign of distress and a call for attention.

If the cat belongs to, or closest to, someone else, it is a sign of stress in the relationship. The cat may feel that you are intruding on, or interfering, with his or her relationship with the other person. Or, the other person may have repressed discomfort about you that the cat is expressing.

I had one friend who had a roommate who's cat would pee on my friend's furniture. I suggested that she humorously ask her roommate, "I think your cat is expressing your repressed feelings. Why would you want to pee on my furniture?" We had a good laugh about it, but it worked! The roommate expressed some unresolved issues, and the cat stopped peeing on my friend's furniture.

I also had, as friends, a married couple who's cat (closer to the husband than the wife) would walk between them in bed. (No peeing in this story.) I suggested that the cat was expressing their ambivalence about intimacy. Again, becoming aware of it helped - the couple became much closer.

8. ii3rittles profile image78
    ii3rittlesposted 9 years ago

If it is a female, it is likely a UTI. Uncommon peeing or spraying in female cats is 9 times out of 10, due to a urinary tract infection. My one female started peeing on anything soft on the floor. She loved my white rug a lot. Needless to say, I do not have that rug anymore. Blood is not always seen in the urine.

9. bwinwright profile image60
    bwinwrightposted 9 years ago

They are infuriated with you.  This is true.  When a cat pisses on your shoes or anything you own, they know exactly what they are doing.  They are simply telling you they do not like you.  And, generally the reason they don't like you is that feel that you don't like them.

I have seen it quite a few times.  I have been around cats all my life and they are much smarter than you may think.  The folks who love them, like I do, are never pissed on.  However, folks who yell at the cats, kick at them, and generally don't like cats will have their shoes or clothing pissed on.

It's so fair.

10. Besarien profile image72
    Besarienposted 9 years ago

We had a cat when I was small who did this to my father's pillow when he was sleeping on it. We took her to the vet to find out that she had a rather severe urinary tract infection. I think they are trying to tell you that urinating is a problem or that they are in pain down there. She had never done it before and never did it again.

11. profile image0
    MrDanielAbramposted 9 years ago

This means he has bladder issues and you should go to the vet immediately.

12. alekdo profile image60
    alekdoposted 8 years ago

I don't think that your cat behaves in a strange ways. Though cats are not easy to understand, they behave just like they wish. However, I agree with the fact that cats tend to mark the area they live in by urinating in those places. There is another supposition. Maybe, you are too tired at work or at home to give your pet the attention it needs. So, it tries to attract your attention in such an unusual way. Or, maybe, your cat is just mischievous. That will explain the fact as well:))) anyway, it is you who knows your cat most of all, so keep an eye on it to decide what it currently lacks. Good luck!

13. Gaurav Oberoi profile image68
    Gaurav Oberoiposted 8 years ago

When a cat pees on a non-living thing it is marking it's territory whereas when it pees on a living thing it is establishing contact.

14. Selena Meyers profile image61
    Selena Meyersposted 8 years ago

It means that he's marking his territory. It's normal for a male cat to urinate on you because, you,to him, are his territory. The way to stop it is to have him spayed.

15. Dc Potzkie profile image61
    Dc Potzkieposted 8 years ago

try to bring your cat outside of your house for some time..
    they love to urinate and poop on a grassy place.
    bring him outside everyday you'll notice that your cats behavior will change.

1. Aterrizaje profile image59
      Aterrizajeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree this could work.  Cats should have a little time in a nature area.   It is good for them.  It is also good for people.

16. passionatelearnr profile image84
    passionatelearnrposted 8 years ago

He's marking his territory.Male cats often do that though not on a lap.

17. clivewilliams profile image72
    clivewilliamsposted 8 years ago

could be kidney problems, or it could mean you are his property!

18. ePetNation profile image67
    ePetNationposted 8 years ago

I hope you have taken him to the vet by now based on the answers. It is true. Your cat is trying to tell you he is having issues. Either kidney or he has crystals in his bladder. Either way he needs to see his vet.
    Best of luck

19. willmcwryter profile image56
    willmcwryterposted 8 years ago

any update on this?  this question is posted to the front page so it must be really important to hp

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image95
      Daughter Of Maatposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Here's an update. We still have the cat. He's about 6 yrs old now and the vet gave him a clean bill of health when we took him 4 yrs ago. He was claiming us as his apparently.

20. profile image53
    Canucks goalposted 8 years ago

Believe the cat is claiming ownership over you!

21. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 8 years ago

It means it is time to take your cat to the vet.

22. Chathushkie profile image60
    Chathushkieposted 8 years ago

I don't know the exact reason but I think it could be due to love over loaded+ old age! My cat does the same, and he's quite old,8 years. I've noticed that he does it when he's in full swing, purring at his fullest. So I think its just a moment of uncontrollable pleasure.

23. Robert Levine profile image84
    Robert Levineposted 8 years ago

It means you're standing in the wrong place.

24. Ann810 profile image51
    Ann810posted 8 years ago

When a cat pees on you it means take a shower, and train the cat to practice urinating in his litter-box. I'm not superstitious, so it doesn't mean anything but to train the cat to pee in a appropriate place such as outdoors or litter-box.

25. Stella Kaye profile image83
    Stella Kayeposted 7 years ago

It means you need to get a litter tray or a cat flap. Are you sure it is urine and not spray? Cats will spray to mark their territory by spraying so must be a rite of ownership if it's spray (males are the smelliest) but females leave their scent on you too, although it is not at all detectable to the human nose.

26. FlourishAnyway profile image96
    FlourishAnywayposted 7 years ago

I had a neutered male pet cat, Jamal, spray me and express dominance behavior towards me (e.g., climbing on my shoulders and trying to gently bite my scalp).  He was a very nice cat otherwise but didn't always get the attention he desired because I traveled.  He did have a habit of spraying my car tires (but not my husband's) daily as a means of expressing ownership of me.  Terrible and unpleasant behavior. 

I had him medically checked out after he peed on me and it turned out he had undetected diabetes.  (He is now deceased.  We treated his diabetes for several years before he died.) 

Thus, I would suggest that if your cat is peeing on your lap he is trying to "shout" to you that "something is wrong with me" and "please help."  I have had many cats over the years and have found that when they are ill they tend to magically "present" themselves to me in ways that make me pay attention -- if I listen.  Usually it's much more subtle, such as wanting to close by all the time or insisting on sleeping with me when they normally sleep elsewhere.

A good vet can help you rule out medical issues then deal with the behavioral side if needed.  Hope this helps!

27. Rangoon House profile image88
    Rangoon Houseposted 7 years ago

I've never heard of this! I have no idea what the meaning is, but I would certainly be chasing answers very quickly! You must love him dearly.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)