jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Is there a dog food that prevents shedding?

1. Swope profile image60
    Swopeposted 5 years ago

Is there a dog food that prevents shedding?

I have a yellow lab. I get her science diet, but she sheds SO much!

2. Bob Bamberg profile image95
    Bob Bambergposted 5 years ago

There are no foods that will prevent shedding, but there are a number of high quality foods that will support the skin better...which is about all you can expect a food to do. 

It's common for dogs to have an intolerance (not necessarily an allergy) to some grains such as wheat, soy, sorghum.  The holistic foods use rice, oatmeal and barley, which most dogs seem to tolerate better.

But, grain-free foods would be the best for dogs with dry skin.  They typically have a greater volume of higher quality essential fatty acids, which will contribute to a supple skin.  Supple skin holds a coat better than dry skin.

I've never been a fan of Science Diet which, in my opinion, is on a par with grocery brands.  I would recommend grain free formulations from quality manufacturers such as:  Earthborn, Wellness, Merrick, Canidae, Nature's Variety, Blue Buffalo, etc. 

You can't make a mistake with any one of those.  The differences from brand to brand are largely marketing, not science.  If you compare ingredient panels, you'll see the same ingredients but in a different order.

Next you have to look at the treats she's getting.  Discontinue people food such as bread, English muffins, bagels, pasta, cereals...all that grain-based stuff.  Next look at your store-bought treats.  Don't feed those that contain wheat.  If you feed biscuits, there are wheat-free and grain-free biscuits on the market.

If you live in a climate where you have the heat on this time of year, the dry air will contribute to the problem.  A supplement such as salmon oil or some other fish oil will be helpful.  Most dogs will just lap it up, otherwise you can mix it with their food.

Shedding is largely a natural function of variations in the photoperiod and fluctuations in temperature; and dogs are constantly going from bright to dark places and from warm to cold.  That will also contribute to shedding to a certain degree.

1. Swope profile image60
      Swopeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Your comment was so helpful!! Thank you!

2. Bob Bamberg profile image95
      Bob Bambergposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome, Swope.  Have you changed food and noticed less shedding?

3. Monis Mas profile image77
    Monis Masposted 5 years ago

I wish! if there is one, I would be the first one to try it! My dog sheds year round...