jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Is it possible to give my pets the flu?

1. Victoria Lynn profile image91
    Victoria Lynnposted 5 years ago

Is it possible to give my pets the flu?

Can my cats or dog catch the flu from me?

2. jandee profile image59
    jandeeposted 5 years ago

Well we were all catching the Bird flu !  Maybe it is possible so let us hope some expert will come along and tell us.

Victoria Lynnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh, birds! My boyfriend has a bird, and he was careful not to get too close when he had the flu. I wonder if we can make our pet birds sick, too? I'm sure the experts will come along and help us out! :-)

3. teaches12345 profile image93
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

Great question but I have no answer.  I had a cat with allergies once -- that was interesting.  I hope someone has an answer or theory.

4. DrMark1961 profile image100
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

Hi Victoria, as far as I know, it really depends on what type of flu you have. Some of them will transmit to dogs and cats, some will not. I think the disease is pretty self-limiting, not fatal, and can be treated just like you would treat any mild respiratory infection in a dog. With your little dog I do not even think it would be a concern, and unless you have a Persian cat I do not think it would be that big a deal. (If you have tabbys or cats with normal noses breathing with a stuffy nose should not be an issue.)
    Where I live I still treat cases of distemper (dogs that were never vaccinated) so the influenza vaccine is not even available, and I do not think anyone would buy it if it was.
    Final thoughts--if you have the flu, drink plenty of fluids, get plenty of rest, and try not to sneeze in your dogĀ“s face!!!!

Dr. Mark! I was hoping you'd find this question. All of that is good to know. I haven't sneezed in my dog's face so far, but he's by my side wherever I am.So are the cats--no Persians. Good to know!  Do you know about pet birds, too?

2. DrMark1961 profile image100
      DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am not an expert on all the types, but I do remember birds are much more sensitive to several of the varieties. They have very little lung capacity and will become congested and die quickly. A bird w flu needs oxy tent or incubator.

3. Victoria Lynn profile image91

Dang! My bf has a bird that he talks to, whistles with, but he stayed away from him when he was sick. Good thing! Thanks, Dr. Mark!

5. catgypsy profile image77
    catgypsyposted 5 years ago

From what I've read, it's possible, but not probable. Great question! I always worry I'll pass something onto my cats, but in most cases it's pretty rare.

6. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

LOL...Vee...I have often wondered about this.  I remember asking my Dr. AND the Vet if I could catch a bug from my cat.....not the other way around....and guess what?  I do not remember what they said.    Now, had I brought my cat with me, he would have remembered!!.......I'm happy to see the Dr's answer to your question.
    My kitty had the "sniffles" just the other day!   But I'm A-OK!   Great question, Vee!

Thanks, Effer! I was happy with Dr. Mark's answers, too! :-)

7. francisassissi profile image59
    francisassissiposted 5 years ago

There are many medical practitioners in my family and I learn that certain flu is immune to certain multi cellular organisms.

I mean that if your flu is new to the immune system of your pet, then your pet gets sick,

working