jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (19 posts)

Other than exercise, how does a dog benefit from a walk?

1. midget38 profile image92
    midget38posted 5 years ago

Other than exercise, how does a dog benefit from a walk?

2. expertonanything profile image39
    expertonanythingposted 5 years ago

Socialization mostly. And it's also healthy for the owner..

3. kidscrafts profile image81
    kidscraftsposted 5 years ago

Socialization and games!  And as expertonanything says, it's a good and healthy exercise for the owner.  Everybody wins...the dog and the owner :-)

4. jandee profile image57
    jandeeposted 5 years ago

Do you read newspapers ?  Do you say good morning to your neighbours ? Do you just love to see the buds coming out now that spring is approaching,even stop to smell a flower and sometimes pause for a chat or just to smile at a stranger ?
    My dogs do this-in their way-four times a day,

5. Kristen Haynie profile image95
    Kristen Haynieposted 5 years ago

There are more benefits that come with taking your dog for a walk than you might realize. Here's what you and your dog are missing if you skip the walks. read more

6. Larry Fields profile image80
    Larry Fieldsposted 5 years ago

There's an old human saying: Seeing is believing. But for dogs, smelling is believing. For Rover, an important part of the walk is checking out the shrubbery, fire hydrants, and other doggy bulletin boards. And that falls under the categories of enjoyable sensory activity and healthful brain activity.

More to the point, the dog thinks that the two of you are patrolling your territory. Knowing that the territory goes well beyond the official property boundaries promotes the belief that you're a tough (but benevolent) hombre, and inspires confidence in your role as chief protector of the 'wolf pack'.

7. healthyfitness profile image79
    healthyfitnessposted 5 years ago

I think dogs benefit from sunlight and the fresh air just as much as we do!

8. annemaeve profile image80
    annemaeveposted 5 years ago

1) Bonding time with you!
    2) Exercise isn't just physical: working on pleasant "heel"ing skills, greeting neighbors and other dogs, and getting whiffs of the wider world exercises a dog's mind as well
    3) Dogs don't always fully empty their bladders and bowels on the first try, so a long walk gets everything out and moving!
    4) Exercise for you!
    5) Stimulating the dog's mind and body through a big walk will keep him less energetic and/or destructive in the house, which makes EVERYBODY happy.

1. Anna Sternfeldt profile image60
      Anna Sternfeldtposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Bonding is really important, I fully agree with Cesar Millan here. And walking is a natural behavior for dogs, if you see them in the wild, they walk, that is what they should do.

9. dahoglund profile image81
    dahoglundposted 5 years ago

At least with my dog, a daily walk is a way of bonding between myself and the dog.

1. Rod Marsden profile image75
      Rod Marsdenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good answer.

2. Anna Sternfeldt profile image60

This is what I see as very important as well.

10. Rod Marsden profile image75
    Rod Marsdenposted 5 years ago

A dog needs companionship and a feeling of belonging to something greater than his or her self. Dogs are intelligent pack animals. When you take a dog for a walk at a particular time of day and you do this day after day you are giving the animal a sense of belonging and also a sense of purpose.

Most people talk to their dogs during the walk. Even though the animal can't understand the words they can pick up on the tone of voice.

Also seeing new sights outside of your backyard and your home in general has to also add to the animal's sense of well being. If humans are stuck in the house too much we tend to feel as if the walls are closing in on us. I believe dogs feel the same way.

Thanks for mention belonging and "purpose".

11. windygreen profile image59
    windygreenposted 5 years ago

dogs have a natural pack instinct ... a structured daily walk on a leash is how the master stays the master .names and maintains the humans alpha status .. by structured i mean made to heel and especially going in and out of doors.. the human goes FIRST.   

most of the obedience and behavioral issues seen in dogs are spawn from them feeling that they are alpha and need to "control their human pack"

also , many dogs are bred to work... its inherint to them .. so a walk is like work... makes them feel useful.

Feeling useful is so important. I have seen elephants being depressed by loosing being useful and having a purpose. The same with dogs. If we have dogs we have responsibility to create their life as much as what is natural for them.

12. Faith A Mullen profile image84
    Faith A Mullenposted 5 years ago

You have inspired me to write a hub on this one! You can check it out on my profile to read it. There are so many benefits of dog walking. Here are a few:

1. It satisfies a dog's natural instinct to roam and explore.
    2. It introduces them to all sorts of sights, smells and sounds, which can make them more confident.
    3. It provides them with much needed socialization.
    4. It is a great bonding experience.
    5. It provides the perfect opportunity for training.
    6. It gives dogs an energy outlet and helps to fight boredom.

13. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image100
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 5 years ago

It helps my dog get his energy out so he is not as stressed when we leave him. He has separation anxiety and sometimes it seems to lesson his symptoms when we walk him. 

It gets me out of the house too which benefits me and lessens my stress too.

14. mearth1 profile image59
    mearth1posted 5 years ago

I thought someone might have addressed this, but daily walks on a sidewalk can stretch the time between trimming claws. It won't eliminate the need for it completely, but it will help keep them in check.