jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do animals communicate with each other?

1. Kevin Peter profile image72
    Kevin Peterposted 4 years ago

How do animals communicate with each other?

Animals cannot talk like humans. Then how can they express their feelings and thoughts clearly?

2. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

by their natural animal speech. For example, my female cat meows with the male cat and hissing follows before spatting occurs. It means, "Don't you dare come near me. You are gonna regret it man !"

3. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 4 years ago

There are many ways, and probably more than we know. Here are some:

Body language: The postion of the tail, the look, the motions. Some of these can be quite complicated. For example, if two new dogs or wolves meet, and fight for dominance, when one wins, the loser will roll over and bare his throat, inviting a death-stroke, and the victor will gently take the throat in his teeth, and not bite down. This is a way of saying, "I won't bite you; I want to be your friend."

Actions: Grooming each other, as in monkeys picking nits and cats licking one another.

Scents and pheromones (hormones released into the air or left on the ground that have meaning): An endless variety of messages are carried by scents within a species and between species. Insects and even plants play this communication game.

Sounds: My cat purrs. Does yours?

There are many other modes of animal communication, and, actually, a lot of them work for people. We have pheromone scents; we say "ahh" when we enjoy a touch; we communicate emotions with body langauge and facial expression.

4. barbat79 profile image72
    barbat79posted 4 years ago

Animals have their own distinct sound vocabulary as well as body language....much like human beings.

5. ii3rittles profile image83
    ii3rittlesposted 4 years ago

All animals communicate through body language. If you are close to one of your pets, you will be able to tell when he/she is happy, sad or about to retaliate on you! They use their eyes, ears, wings, tails & different stances to communicate what they are feeling. They also use different sounds, though this is secondary to the initial body language they are presenting. Some will also use their senses to communicate by spraying (peeing/marking) to attract the opposite sex or keep other animals away. Skunks, for example, will spray when they are scared or feel threatened. Cats & dogs use strong urine to mark what they believe to be theirs or to ward off other passing animals.

6. stanwshura profile image74
    stanwshuraposted 4 years ago

Body language, vocalizations, smells, social/tribe/pack behavior, et cetera

working