jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Does plants and trees communicate with each other and how ?

1. ahmed.b profile image77
    ahmed.bposted 5 years ago

Does plants and trees communicate with each other and how ?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6841969_f260.jpg

2. HLKeeley profile image84
    HLKeeleyposted 5 years ago

I do not believe they do. I have never seen or heard of an account where plants and trees help each other. For instance, with animals you can see the communication and the result of that. There habits change or they move. Animals as well as humans have a way to communicate while trees and plants do not.

This is an interesting question. My answer could be wrong, but what inspired this question?

3. TheNerdyGardener profile image87
    TheNerdyGardenerposted 5 years ago

While plants don't consciously communicate with each other they can receive certain cues from the environment around them and because of this a plant in effect can change the way other plants around it end up growing.  These responses to the environment are called tropisms and there are a quite a few different types.

Plants will tend to grow towards the light (Phototropism), a vine will wrap around a tree instead of trying to grow straight through it (Thigmotropism), a branch will grow in a different direction when it comes into contact with a solid surface (again Thigmotropism), certain plants produce chemicals in their leaves which prevent other seeds from growing around it (Chemotropism), roots grow downwards shoots grow upwards (Gravitropism).  There are many more examples too.

The presence of environmental stimuli alters the levels of plant hormones (particularly auxin) in different cells which causes the plant to grow in a different way than if the stimuli were not present.  It's all automated and there is no thinking involved on the plant's part.

4. ahmed.b profile image77
    ahmed.bposted 5 years ago

@HLKeeley
    Actually we had a beautiful garden in our last house, however some of trees went dry in just few months. Specially one tree which we children loved very much. This behaviour is much like pets. This makes me think about that. What do you say about this link. http://www.medicaldaily.com/news/201206 … rvival.htm

working