jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are some safe and natural ways to get rid of fleas on dogs?

1. To Start Again profile image81
    To Start Againposted 4 years ago

What are some safe and natural ways to get rid of fleas on dogs?

Is there something I can use that isn't a pesticide? Maybe something I already have in my cabinets at home?

2. Lady Guinevere profile image60
    Lady Guinevereposted 4 years ago

You might want to check this site out.  It is Mother Earth News and here is an article for mosquito reppelant:  http://www.motherearthnews.com/natural- … z2U80dro7u

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

To repel fleas: lavender, peppermint, lemongrass, and spearment.

4. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

Diotomaceous Earth (DTE) is a natural way to kill fleas, it is a powder that can be rubbed on the dog or in its bedding.  The granules don't hurt the animal, but slice the fleas to bits when they walk through it.  (It works in the garden also) It unfortunately does nothing for the eggs, but it does kill fleas.

Also, Neem Oil is very effective at ridding a pet of fleas.  It is natural, but not fully non-toxic, you don't want your animals to eat it ever - but it can be used topically to kill fleas/eggs and mites that cause mange.  you can buy products with it already properly diluted - it does stink to high heaven though is the only downside. 

Cedar is also a deterrent to fleas, it doesn't kill them but they don't like it so they avoid it.

5. coolenconnections profile image76
    coolenconnectionsposted 4 years ago

Tea tree oil works at both repelling fleas and killing them. I have used it in a spray bottle with a ratio of 1 tsp.of tea tree oil to 1 cup of warm water.

I have heard that tree tea oil can be toxic to Cats so only use this method if you have a dog only home smile

working