jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

What is better to have, a dog or a cat?

1. tobimaya profile image60
    tobimayaposted 4 years ago

What is better to have, a dog or a cat?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

That is such a personal choice. As many people that say "get a dog," there will be as many who say "get a cat."

Personally, I don't care for cats and am a true dog person but I do think that over all dogs are more work and require more time and attention than a cat.

So it is really a matter of personal choice, money and the amount of time and attention you can give.

1. tobimaya profile image60
      tobimayaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I honestly prefer a dog. but living in apartments  and working all the time, I want just an animal to reduce stress. Which I heard having a pet does.

3. Julia Bentley profile image61
    Julia Bentleyposted 4 years ago

There is an old joke that says dogs have masters, cats have staff.

In general, a cat wants you to fulfill its basic needs - meals in a timely manner, a clean litter box, and a good scratch when they feel like it. Most cats are independent and do things on their own terms, so they don't require much time.

Dogs generally crave your attention and  they also require some level of training, so the time investment is much larger. In addition to meals and potty trips, they need exercise and mental stimulation. Since they don't potty inside, you cannot leave them alone for long stretches. I also think vet costs are generally larger with dogs because they are more prone to getting into things (eating something they shouldn't, rashes or allergic reactions, etc).

I have both dogs and cats and I really prefer dogs. They are more work, but the rewards are also greater.

4. ketage profile image80
    ketageposted 4 years ago

I have both, and would not be able to choose between them, but if I had to give advise to a person looking for a pet, I would say it depends on how much time you have to look after them, a cat is a pretty independent animal and will be happy with the occasional petting, a dog on the other hand craves attention and requires more TLC, walks , playtime etc.

5. alexadry profile image97
    alexadryposted 4 years ago

So different, yet both so attractive! I had both, dogs and cats who always lived together in my home in perfect harmony. I love cats because they are easy creatures, water, food and a bed to nap and they're fine. They cater to my lazy side. I love dogs though because they are loyal, and keep me in good shape because they keep me walking, yet they have more needs as exercise, mental stimulation and socialization. I love to have both because I can have the best of both worlds.

6. DDE profile image25
    DDEposted 4 years ago

I prefer a dog and had a few before I moved to Croatia since then don't want to go back down that road again. I am now with no pets no responsibility and heartbreak

working