Why is it "Rednecks" have to have a "macho" dog as well as a closet full of guns

1. badegg profile image79
    badeggposted 4 years ago

Why is it "Rednecks" have to have a "macho" dog as well as a closet full of guns?

I have noticed that here in the southern Bible belt where guns and religion are usually one in the same, many of the gun "collectors" (hoarders) seem to have an affinity for the fighting breed of dogs, like Rottweilers or Pit Bulls. Is it just the "manly" thing to do? It seems like a whole new area of mental illness to me,

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I haven't really noticed that, but maybe you have a point. Although I do know one redneck who has the closet full of guns, but he has a Dachshund and a cat. Maybe he really isn't a redneck after all.

3. Angela Blair profile image81
    Angela Blairposted 4 years ago

First of all -- and to save time -- I'll identify myself as a redneck and I live in the Bible belt -- BUT -- we do not find guns and religion one in the same. One thing is, however, true -- we believe in our Lord and ask him to protect us. We also believe it is our responsibility to  protect ourselves -- and so we own guns. As to the dogs we own -- well, I've owned everything from Cocker Spaniels to German Shepherds and at present have a Labrador-mix. Taste in dog breeds vary greatly among all dog lovers be they redneck or "sophisticated." I can't afford a closet full of guns  so am satisfied with one gun which I'm licensed to carry and know how to use (which makes me a law-abiding redneck). My dog barks when some unknown person approaches my house -- if that makes him "macho" -- so be it -- that's his job and mine is loving and taking care of him. Most rednecks have pretty good common sense and there's no more mental illness among us than there is among uneducated, unintelligent, rude liberals -- seems like it's all relative depending on which type of person you are.

Closed to reply

working