Is it normal for puppies to whimper and seem to have dreams while sleeping?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

Is it normal for puppies to whimper and seem to have dreams while sleeping?

Our new puppy will sometimes cry and whimper while sleeping and have a little bit of convulsions too, is that normal for puppies to do while sleeping?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8700795_f260.jpg

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image84
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 10 years ago

Hi! I think he is just missing his family. Try a jar of hot water wrapped in an old towel to put with him when he goes to bed at night. (He would no doubt chew up a hot water bottle, lol) Too bad kitty doesn't sleep with him, but he will eventually get over it I am sure.

Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Jackie, yes, I am sure he is missing his siblings.  They had separated them from the mother, but he was still with his siblings.  He and George are making good friends and have slept in the recliner together LOL.  That is a great idea!  Hugs.

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image84
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If it is wrapped in something warm it will not get him cold when it cools. We always did this with new pups as long as I can remember. Kittens too. Actually all they are trying to do is con their way in your bed! lol

3. Faith Reaper profile image83

Yes, LOL, he hops up in an effort to get on the bed. Last night we saw him flop down on George, our cat, like a rug, and George allowed him, and he slept away! LOL  So, he had his warm body.  They both love getting in the recliner with my hubby.

3. Genna East profile image82
    Genna Eastposted 10 years ago

Hi Faith;
    I agree with Jackie…the warmth of a hot water jar inside the towel will remind him of being next to his mother and brothers and sisters.  Dogs continue to dream into adulthood.  My Sunny used to dream, with her legs twitching as she dreamed of running in the woods on our property.  Your new puppy sounds adorable. :-)

Thanks so much dear Genna.  Yes, he does a lot of twitching of sorts, which is concerning, but I guess normal.  He is a sweetie.  He likes to crawl under our bed and lay on top of the vent to get warm.  So the warm water jar might be the ticket. Hugs

4. profile image0
    cjaroszposted 10 years ago

Yes, its just like some babies do when they are little.

Thanks cjarosz, Yes, but sometimes it seems like he is having a nightmare and convulsions or something, but I guess he is okay.  Thank you for answering.

5. catgypsy profile image72
    catgypsyposted 10 years ago

Yes, perfectly normal and is probably dreaming. Jackie had a good idea about the hot water. You might also try putting a small stuffed animal in there with him, something for him to cuddle with.

Thank you so much, catgypsy, he has some stuffed toys to sleep with too.  But the warm water sounds like a good idea.  Sometimes, it seems like he is having a nightmare and convulsions, but I hope it is normal.

6. profile image0
    Bob Bambergposted 10 years ago

It's reasonable to expect that dogs dream, Faith.  The dog brain is structured similarly to the human brain, has electrical activity similar to that of humans, and during sleep, goes through cycles the way human brains do.  It would be so interesting to know WHAT they dream about.  Actually, it would be interesting to know what's going through their mind at any time.  I used to observe my cat when she was just sitting or reclining somewhere, and wonder what must be going through her mind.

Thanks so much, Bob, for answering!  Yes, it would be so interesting as to what they are actually dreaming about for sure, especially at such a young age.  Have a great weekend.

7. CraftytotheCore profile image75
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

What was that bear they used to sell for babies?  It had a heart beat?  I saw that recommended once too.

Hi CraftytotheCore, oh, yes, I remember that too.  I cannot remember the name of the bear.  I have heard to place an old tick tock clock next to them so they can hear it ticking and maybe remind them of their mother's heartbeat?

8. VVanNess profile image77
    VVanNessposted 10 years ago

I sure hope so! My two 100 pound babies (chocolate and yellow lab, 2 years old and 1 year old), sure twitch and kick and run, and whimper in their sleep. My Bruin has even woken himself up with his noises and jumped up and ran for the door. lol

Hi VVanNess, oh good, that makes me feel much better!  Thank you for sharing that with me.  Yes, this puppy sometimes sounds like a little pot belly pig with his snorting. LOL  Have a great weekend.

2. VVanNess profile image77
      VVanNessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Cody has made a variety of animal sounds. Lol So far we normally hear pig sounds, but we've even heard him moo. Lol

3. Faith Reaper profile image83

LOL, I am waiting on that too LOL

9. Diana Lee profile image76
    Diana Leeposted 10 years ago

Grown dogs will dream and bark.  Sometimes they will make their legs move like they are running or chasing rabbits in their sleep. This is very normal.  I'm sure puppy dreams are too, but if you really think it could be more than that a vet check will ease your mind.

Thank you so much Diana Lee.  From all the answers, it sounds normal, but if it gets worse, I will sure check with the vet.  Have a great weekend!

10. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 10 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8706262_f260.jpg

Firstly, please be careful with the suggestions about the hot water bottle. They cool off quickly, and when they do they will suck the heat right out of your little dog´s body.
    Secondly, puppies do twitch and cry and whimper when sleeping. Dogs dream, just like Bob and some others mentioned below. The little puppy sleeping next to me at the moment (almost 8 wks old) still "nurses" as she sleeps, so I am pretty sure what she is doing.
    The twitching/convulsion like movements are pretty normal too. I have not been able to find out if it is because of low blood sugar, but puppies have a high metabolic rate. By the time you took a twitching puppy in for an exam it would be over. If this lasts more than a few minutes, during sleep, you do need to have your puppy examined.

Oh, thank you so much for the heads up. I think the suggestion was for a glass jar of hot water wrapped in something and not a bottle. I will be sure do so if it keeps up.

11. alexadry profile image94
    alexadryposted 10 years ago

Faith Reaper, it's perfectly normal and a sign of a very healthy puppy! I have heard that the exaggerated sleep twitches in newborns are meant to trigger bursts of neuronal firing that are known to be important for good neural development and motor coordination.

Hi alexadry, Wow, thank you so much!  How interesting and makes a lot of sense.  I appreciate your great answer.  Well, his neural and motor coordination development must be dong quite well!

12. grand old lady profile image85
    grand old ladyposted 10 years ago

Yes, they dream. My big dog, Ashley Pumpernickel makes this dog - coo sound when she talks to me. She once did it in her sleep as a pup. Mocha Barney, my dachshund, sometimes moves her feet, as if she's running, in her sleep. I think that happens on days when we had gone to the park.

However, regarding the convulsions, I think you should consult a vet.

Hi grand old lady, Oh, I just love your dog's name, how precious!  Well, both of your dogs' names are great!  That is too funny about the coo sound.  Yes, the convulsions have subsided, but I will keep watch.  Thank you so much for answering!

13. Shefali K profile image60
    Shefali Kposted 9 years ago

Yes its pretty much normal for puppies to dream and some times they cry and whimper. Cause i remember during my dogs puppyhood, i was watching television and Belgie (my dog) was sleeping and suddenly he started crying loudly.and it really scared me to death, then i realized he was dreaming. Then i looked it up online and found that its nothing to worry about and is normal.

Faith Reaperposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi Shefali, Thank you so much for sharing about your Belgie! Yes, it does make one wonder if they are hurting but it’s good to know they are dreaming but hate to think they might have nightmares.

14. BellatheBall profile image57
    BellatheBallposted 6 years ago

Dogs do dream just like people do. They may whimper or sigh and even make running motions with their feet. But if it excessive, if they cry out in pain or seem to be having a seizure, a veterinary consultation is called for.

Faith Reaperposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi BellatheBall, thank you for answering and giving good advice!  Like your user name too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)