jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What's the best way to acclimate an older family of dogs to a new puppy?

1. CWanamaker profile image97
    CWanamakerposted 2 years ago

What's the best way to acclimate an older family of dogs to a new puppy?

2. Kimmie10 profile image69
    Kimmie10posted 2 years ago

Hold the puppy when you are introducing each other.  And also talk and pet the older dog (at the same time) to let him/her know that he/she isn't being replaced.

3. Jaspal profile image78
    Jaspalposted 2 years ago

I quite agree with Kimmie's answer. Also take them out for walks together, and do fun stuff with the earlier dog(s) and let the puppy join in slowly.

For a few days, till they become friends, you could feed them in separate rooms or at separate times - that is when there could be trouble.

1. dogmama58 profile image83
      dogmama58posted 2 years agoin reply to this

We let our older girl "find" the new puppy girl in the yard.  Then we regulated their play time so the new pup wouldn't wear our dear old girl out.

4. renee21 profile image81
    renee21posted 2 years ago

I would introduce the puppy in a crate.  Let the other dogs smell it while it is in the crate.  After your dogs check it out, I would take all the dogs, including the puppy, for a walk before it comes in the house.  And just be relaxed.  Show your other dogs that you are happy to have a new puppy in the house, but do not be too excited.  Your dogs will read off you and respond to how you act.  Also, don't let the puppy have extra privileges/special treatment that the other dogs don't have because that will cause resentment, and your dogs may reject the puppy because of it. I hope this helps!