jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

About Felis Catus - Do Cats Really Say Meow? No They Don't!

1. quicksand profile image80
    quicksandposted 2 years ago

About Felis Catus - Do Cats Really Say Meow? No They Don't!

In order to say anything starting with the consonant 'M' you've got to curve your upper and lower lips inwards and get them to meet. Only then can the word be pronounced. Cats ain't got no lips. So the sound that originates from their vocal chords are not influenced by the tongue or the periphery of the mouth of the cat. Cats actually say 'Ngyaeow!' The sound that finishes the word 'song' is where the cat's call-to-action starts. Well, what do you say? I don't mean to ask what sound you make, but just your opinion on my observation! What's your take on this?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12541812_f260.jpg

2. peachpurple profile image84
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

cat says E-yow  meow. Listen closely to those sounds they make

quicksandposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I did! They don't!

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image89
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 2 years ago

I ask my cat if she wants some meowlk (milk) and she always says, "yeow" (yes).

Amazingly, cats are better at communicating than any other animal. Thanks for posting!

4. Shaddie profile image90
    Shaddieposted 2 years ago

Most cat Onomatopoeias start with M, even across the world. But other onomatopoeias for them include "yaong" (Korean), "nyan" (Japanese), and "nau" (Estonian). Maybe those are more to your liking?

Onomatopoeias differ from language to language like you have already indicated. So a sound expressed in writing will phonetically differ depending on the mother tongue of the one who hears it. I maintain that cats say "ngyaeow!" Thanks 4 commenting!

working