jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why do Cats say Meow?

1. waynet profile image72
    waynetposted 6 years ago

Why do Cats say Meow?

Why do they say meow all the time? what's the reasoning behind it, the history and the ultimate question: What does it mean?

2. Cat Wisdom profile image60
    Cat Wisdomposted 6 years ago

Cats don't just say meow.  They also say "Mom" and "Ma."  Different inflections can transform a meow from "Feed me" to "Pet me" to "Pay attention to me."

3. Russell-D profile image82
    Russell-Dposted 6 years ago

Because they can't say, "woof, woof". David Russell

4. Rochelle Frank profile image97
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

It is a contraction of "let me out".  Cats like to go out to dig in the sand, to chase small critters, to socialize with other cats and to birdwatch. They also like to be in the house, but most are unable to operate doorknobs, locks and other human-invented mechanisms that keep doors closed.
    Cats, in the past, used to say "let me out" but over the centuries that gradually evolved to "me out" and then to "meow".

5. factsknowing profile image72
    factsknowingposted 6 years ago

Cats say meow because that is the language they can speak and they believe you and I and other animals would understand.
    The same way dogs say wow...

6. Vegas Elias profile image28
    Vegas Eliasposted 6 years ago

Cats say what they wish to and do not care for verbal ethics. Moreover they are more free than humans and are bold enough to express themselves.

A dog cannot dictate to them to bark as he does. Like some humans demand that people speak in a particular fashion or with laid down norms and ethics.

Nice question. I tried to give the best answer I could think. I wish I too was a cat and sayd "MEOW" in reply.

Francis

7. WorkAtHomeMums profile image88
    WorkAtHomeMumsposted 6 years ago

Haha David I was just going to say the same thing.
    Interesting question and even more interesting responses.

working