jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

My cat keeps bringing in (and eating) mice and voles. Is there anything I can do

1. Thomasbell32 profile image83
    Thomasbell32posted 21 months ago

My cat keeps bringing in (and eating) mice and voles. Is there anything I can do to discourage this?

2. iggy7117 profile image79
    iggy7117posted 21 months ago

It is the cat's nature to hunt. I would try playing with it more, and maybe feeding it better so it feels full and less likely to hunt. Maybe even try getting some play toys- for the cat.

3. profile image0
    NuIfEmposted 21 months ago

I had the same experience with my former cats. Not just mouse and rat though. But they also caught lizards, cockroaches and a bird. It was shocking to see their dead preys in front of the door!

It was like the cats intentionally do that to give us a surprise and they may expect reward of something

As for me, I tend to pat the cats head and rub their chins. But since you want to stop the cat from doing it again, praising the cat might not discourage it though.

So, like Vince(iggy7117) suggested.Maybe distract your cat with a toy to play and let the cat eat it's food first before going out?

4. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 21 months ago

yes it is the cat's nature. My old cat would catches rats, rodents, lizards and sparrows, bring them to the door step, chew the necks. However, she never eats them.

I had to sprinkle water at her and keep feeding her whenever she meows. Then she stops hunting.

5. profile image0
    Copper Manposted 21 months ago

Perhaps you could trap and dispose of the creatures yourself, leaving none for your cat.

6. Matthew Woolsey profile image68
    Matthew Woolseyposted 20 months ago

Beyond what most cat owners think, if you let your cat out at night, they kill on average of 20 mice, birds, or whatever they can get to. Although you think your cat is tamed because it rubs on your leg, or speaks to you, they are not tame. I recently watched a documentary about cats and their secret lives. Basically when they meow or speak to you, it is the same thing as when a lion roars. If you let your cats out they will kill anything they can, no matter how tame inside they are outside they are predators. My mother has cats they don't go out side, but I always tell her you don't own your cats they own you. Most people with cats bend over for their every need. Like they have to have a certain litter, or food, or have to be pet or left alone. They own you. Dogs are not like that give them food and water, and they are good. they listen to your commands and don't do what you don't want them to do. Cats do whatever they want. I don't want to come across like I don't like cats, I just know a lot about them. I had many cats in the past. I have fish now much more simple creatures to take care of.

working