Is HubPages trying to discourage its writers and get them to quit writing?

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (154 posts)
  1. Shyron E Shenko profile image70
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 8 years ago

Is HubPages trying to discourage its writers and get them to quit writing?

Every time I publish a hub my Hubber score goes down then it goes up by 1-2 points and then down by 1-2 points.  Then when I am not on here for a day or two it goes down by more than 2 points. 
    This is very discouraging to the writers. 
    Can someone tell me why HP wants to discourage its writers?
    I have been happy here except for this and I don't want to leave, but! I get no encouragement from HP.

2. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 8 years ago

You are putting too much thought into the score. Hp is doing an amazing job in many ways. There are bound to be some flaws with any site like this.
    I have had no differences in views back when my score was in the 90's or with it in the 80's like it is currently.
    The best thing to do is focus on getting views from search engines. As long as you are getting those then don't worry about it!
    If you are happy otherwise, just get to a point where you don't even look at your score.
    Maybe I am wrong, but I have just never seen an increase in views simply because my score went up. Once they dropped my score down to low 80's I think 81, and my views were actually at an all time high. Write, don't worry!

1. Billie Kelpin profile image85
      Billie Kelpinposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree Peeples. This is not the end-all and the means-all of publishing one's writing. Just write! The scores are nothing.Readers will come. This is a nice little way to publish stuff - that's all. It's not the Atlantic Monthly or NY Times!

2. Shyron E Shenko profile image70
      Shyron E Shenkoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ms. Kelpin and Ms. Peeples, thank you both, but, I write as if I am writing for the Atlantic Monthly/N.Y. Times! When I wrote for my local newspaper, I always, always did my best.  The low Hubber score makes it look as if I am not doing my best.

3. Au fait profile image85
      Au faitposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Shyron, I do most definitely understand how you feel.  I get it.

4. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Since my 3rd. mo here at HP, I have ALWAYS had 90++ Just lately I'm down some .YES it's devastating bcuz, I wonder why NOW my "value" is less. How can we be cavalier?  Writing is "PERSONAL" & so is our hubber score!! It's a blow to us & our w

5. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
      LoisRyan13903posted 8 years agoin reply to this

My score stays at about an 80 and this is even without activiely writing on this site for a while

6. rodrigo sebidos profile image68
      rodrigo sebidosposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Lois, don' get discourage, see STATS and check the overall score, monitor it for several days,  If it is unmoving something is wrong, if not don't worry about score as long as it generates traffic, I guess that's OK. Keep writing well-written Hubs

7. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
      LoisRyan13903posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Not complaining.  The only thing I do on UP are the Q/A section.Writing elsewhere.

8. My Esoteric profile image87
      My Esotericposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well, another flaw would seem to be their "Featured" criteria.  I just saw that my 7th highest read hub was newly not featured; no clue as to why now.  I did, at their suggestion, started slashing out Amazon ads.

9. rodrigo sebidos profile image68

Yes, My Esoteric, keep improving, do more with less ads!

3. Au fait profile image85
    Au faitposted 8 years ago

I understand completely.  With a low score glaring at any reader who visits our profile page to see what's new, it's bound to have an effect on how credible we appear to readers.  Who wants to hear what an 84 or a 94 has to say about anything? I want to read things written by authors rated 100.  They're the best and that's why they have that score. 

When I order anything from eBay I only order from people with a 100% rating. 

I like to hear what the best experts on anything have to say.  If that weren't true I could just ask my neighbor or whoever happens to be close by.

I don't know about you, but I always look for information from the people who are credited to be best in their fields.  I prefer a doctor who got all A's in school over one with mostly C's.   

If you were looking for an accountant, a lawyer, a teacher, or anyone to help with a problem, would you go for the ones in the 70s (or lower), or the ones rated in the upper 90s -- that's if ratings were available?

People can access my articles by simply typing C. E. Clark on HubPages into the search box, and then land on my profile page where I have a low rating.  I like to know something about people whose information or advice I'm relying on, so I visit the author's page or Google them before taking them very seriously or bothering with them at all.  A low score beside their picture does nothing to give me confidence in anything they write.

Clearly they have no psychologists in a decision making position on this site.  All stick and no carrot discourages anyone no matter what they do.  Even when people try to ignore the hubber score, their subconscious mind takes note and influences their self confidence no matter what their conscious mind tells them.

1. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think the big question is does the average outside reader actually look at our scores or bother searching us on this site considering this is not a medical or selling website?

Ms. Peeples, the outside reader might matter if I were in it just for the MONEY, I write because I love to write and I feel that my Hubber score is a reflection of what HubPages thinks of my writing, which is very disheartening.

3. peeples profile image93

I guess I've never cared much about what HP thinks of me. I write because I enjoy it, and as long as others are enjoying it I have no need to worry about HP's opinion. I just don't think the average reader probably even notices the score.

4. Shyron E Shenko profile image70

Au fait, thank you, I can tell by your answer you grasp the meaning of what I am asking, thank you for your answer.

5. Au fait profile image85

Peeples: People who know me or who have become followers do see this score, and anyone who, like myself, likes to read about the author also sees it.  It matters to me and many of the people I know who strive for excellence.

6. peeples profile image93

I guess I've just learned to ignore the fake scoring system here and instead just go for keeping myself and my followers happy with content. If they follow me I believe they are doing so because they enjoy what I write, not the #. To each their own.

7. Au fait profile image85

If the scoring system is fake, why do they expend any effort on it?  Time is money and they're paying somebody to program the system if not to make a human decision.  For sure some people are satisfied with mediocrity, but they aren't in my circle.

8. peeples profile image93

If the scoring system isn't fake then explain why we have hubbers who only comment in the forums with scores in the 70's instead of 0. They don't even write articles, or have only written 1-2. Again, not my focus. I'd rather keep google happy.

9. Au fait profile image85

Point well taken Peeples.  I agree that some member's scores are grossly inflated while others are ridiculously low.  Since they are often discouraging in so may ways, what purpose do they really serve?

10. peeples profile image93

Wouldn't it be nice if they removed it completely and instead implemented better monitoring of spam and/or copied content? Have a nice afternoon y'all. smile

11. qeyler profile image64
      qeylerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Years ago the '100' on this site belonged to crap writers, those who caused the Panda to call us a content farm.  You know...the articles which says nothing for 1000 words, but repeats keywords & SEO

12. Shyron E Shenko profile image70

Au fait, this is very well put.  I would like to add that when you recommend HP to friends or relatives, do they look at the hub score and say "she/he can't be that good, with such a low score.

4. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7504281_f260.jpg

Scores ARE significant.  Yours is high.  I understand how you feel.  Readers DO consider hub author's authors.  Such scores indicate the veracity and knowledge that the hub author has about the subject matter in addition to how clearly h/she can communicate his/her ideas.  According to the reader, the higher the score( in many cases), the more credibility the hub author has.

1. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hub scores have absolutely nothing to do with veracity and subject matter knowledge.  That requires human intervention: the scores are calculated by algorithms implemented in software. Our hubs are not peer-reviewed.

2. rodrigo sebidos profile image68

Nicomp, I tend 2 disagree with u, software in the algorithms are man made, tht's d reason why it is dr in d absence of External Evaluators. To avoid  pitfalls of Plagiarism,  writers must cite d source of infrmtion 2 improve the veracity of content

3. mattforte profile image88
      mattforteposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I'm sorry but no, they aren't significant at all.
      I haven't written a hub in several years now, I only periodically participate in discussions. My score never drops below 95.
      And readers don't even know what the scores are, only Hubbers do.

4. Rock_nj profile image90
      Rock_njposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I thought you were doing quite well here mattforte?  Why did you stop publishing Hubs?

5. Austinstar profile image85
    Austinstarposted 8 years ago

I look at it as an average. If you are above 50, then you are are doing better than half the writers here.
    You can also look at it like a grade. Below 60 is a failing grade or F.
    'A' writers 90-100
    'B' writers 80-90
    'C' writers 70-80
    'D' writers 60-70
    And like any grading system, you should strive for improvement.
    It's just an overall evaluation of your skill on a content site. Nothing more, nothing less.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Excellently put.

2. Austinstar profile image85
      Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The only scores I would worry about would be the 'failing' scores. Either work with the system & bring those scores up, or eliminate the 'failures' like one would pull weeds. You can't have a nice place if low quality writers are allowed to 'grow

3. gmwilliams profile image85

That is so true.  There has to be STANDARDS.

4. fpherj48 profile image61

Lela....must you be so reasonable??    LOL

5. gmwilliams profile image85

I would like to add that as long as one is a writer within the A-B hubscore range, h/she does not have to worry.

6. Chriswillman90 profile image89
      Chriswillman90posted 8 years agoin reply to this

And ultimately it matters little for what most on here strive for, traffic, and I think many would rather get 1000's of daily views with a score of 70 than 10's of daily views with a score of 90.

7. fpherj48 profile image61

Chris....good thought, but if someone is getting thousands of views per day...they damned sure shouldn't have a score in the '70's!!

8. profile image54
      clivwillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

thats not so....and your grading is a bit off

9. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
      bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The problem with your analogy is that the grading system doesn't have any rules to guide you. It just goes up or down without any correlation to what you are doing or not doing.
      Feedback is an important part of learning, but when you just get a score

10. John Colarusso profile image78
      John Colarussoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So In Theory I am a B Average writer. How does one performe better over all though? Is it view based or purely quality based?

11. rodrigo sebidos profile image68

John, I guess its both, because your hubber score is a composite of bits and pieces of what you write and the reader's impression

6. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Shyron,  I'm going to have to say that I fully understand the hubber score frustration many of us have.  I've written of this very thing quite often (to no avail, of course)  It's a "real" personal thing to have a SCORE, so to speak next to our name and photo.  For some, it can build or break our enthusiasm, pride and "motivation."  I hear you.  The hubber score thing has always disgusted me and I DO try to ignore it as we are advised to do.

HOWEVER, most of those who advise this, also say that our hubber score is largely "insignificant."  To that statement I return a question of my own:  "If it's SO INSIGNIFICANT, why does it even exist?"  We're left to wonder and speculate....Is it just another way to mess with our heads?

I can also fully appreciate a healthy attitude like peeples, who remains steadfast and ignores HP.  This seems to be fair since 'they" have proven time and time again, they easily ignore us and any issues with which we have concerns. 

Your comment about not being in this for the money, but rather for the love of our passion, speaks for me as well.  The reality is that HP is solely in this business for the $$$$......this is where it always becomes a line in the sand.

"I have always been happy here except for this (hubber score mystery) and I don't want to leave, but get no encouragement from HP."   Shyron, "Ditto," girlfriend.  We more than likely will not leave, not for this reason anyway...but as our "happiness" continues to be chipped away at, I can't help but think of the hundreds of fabulous, talented writers who have left us.  They finally reached the point of saturation.  Are we next?

To all those great & struggling writers who sign on each day, eager and full of inspiration, only to feel that bubble POP painfully due to a "score".....I hope it helps to know that I believe we are all winners and I applaud our tenacity and courage to keep going forward.   You're ALL 100% in my eyes!....Peace, Paula

1. Austinstar profile image85

We have lost some really great hubbers, but I like to think that they were mostly 'too good' to continue writing here. HP serves a purpose, but that purpose isn't to encourage writers! It's to sell ads.

Bless you Paula, you have expressed exactly how I feel and I thank you for that.

@ Austinstar, HP would be wise to encourage writers or else they will not have hubs to put ads on.
      Thank you for the feed back.

3. fpherj48 profile image61

Lela....OUCH!!  I sure as hell hope you do not mean those of us who remain here are "Not all that GOOD!"  People left because they were "Too Good?"....That hurts.  Did they go to "Writer's Red Carpet?"

4. mtariqsattar profile image76
      mtariqsattarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Paula you are bang on when in the end of the day its about motivation and it something you want to have good just besides your name and pic right up there....It's just a mess, I guess, don't know what is the real deal here.

5. Shyron E Shenko profile image70

Paula, thank you so much for putting it this, that is exactly what I was trying to say.

7. dashingscorpio profile image82
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

I would say never get caught up in the hub score roller coaster.
    It seems to fluctuate like the stock market. Focus on writing quality hubs, making contributions to Q&A and leaving well informed comments. Those are the only things you can control.

Scorpio, I believe that the hub score is a reflection of the moderators opinion of our hub.

2. fpherj48 profile image61

As though the game played w/ our hubber scores is not enough...Now it is PRINTED for ALL to see, the No.of hubs published vs the No FEATURED!  A blatant insult & slap in the face. NOT FOR PUBLIC DISPLAY. HP is intentionally insulting us.

3. Shyron E Shenko profile image70

Paula, you said it! that is just how I feel.

4. Au fait profile image85

Paula, you took the words right out of my mouth!  I do so, so agree with you.

8. Silva Hayes profile image78
    Silva Hayesposted 8 years ago

I'm not sure what HP's motives are. In the past I reached a score of 100 and was hitting payout every month. Suddenly my score dropped into the 80s and my earnings decreased by 2/3. Over time, my score crept back up into the low 90s but my earnings never recovered. I'm the same person and my hubs are the same hubs, so this is not reasonable to me. For a time, I was bothered and saddened by this situation. I went through my hubs and added photos and "callouts" and deleted eBay and Amazon ads and reviewed the text to make sure there were no errors. Recently it seems that if I "edit" a featured hub, there is a possibility that it will become unfeatured and require more tweaking to cause it to become featured again.  For awhile, I was spending too much time combing through my hubs and trying to make them more acceptable. I have finally reached the point where I have grown a tough shell and am no longer affected by all this and know that if I want to succeed as a writer, I need to look elsewhere. I will leave my hubs here and enjoy the trickle of money that is paid out every three months or so.

1. Austinstar profile image85

Things change. Even at HP. Some is for the better, some is not. It's a balancing act that the moderators perform. Just be the best that you can be. The pendulum will probably swing back into our favor soon.

2. fpherj48 profile image61

Silva....See what I mean?  This is the result of writers being discouraged. It's understandable. Really good writers like you are lost by HP! This is unacceptable.  HP, PAY ATTENTION!!

3. qeyler profile image64

Use HP as storage. Post the nonfeatured on other sites.  What happens, sometimes, is a 'blow back'.  I..e if you wrote on Elephants here and posted it there as well, a search can turn up both

4. gmwilliams profile image85

Until recently, my hubscore was in the 90s.  Now it is in the mid-80s,hmmmm.  I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND.   My hubscore is 85.  Nothing HAS changed in my writings but my HUBSCORE HAS! Now that's is PERPLEXING!!!

Thank you Silva for your feed back, I do hope that you will stay on HP. We are like family.
      Blessings

9. Peter Grujic profile image60
    Peter Grujicposted 8 years ago

I agree 100% - there is something wrong with hub pages- their judging critique has changed- I have 25 featured articles and # 26 is rejected- I have rewritten it 5-6 times and it is rejected each time with the same standard Spammy reason letter- there is nothing Spammy about my article- I am a pharmacist and write it with no spam goal- it is simply informational, the same info I give patients that ask me for research- a professional writer friend of mine who writes in New York for a national magazine- she has won many awards- took one of her articles and tested Hub by placing it in Hub and it got the same/identical reject I got-  I have lost all faith in Hub- I did it for fun- no more.

1. qeyler profile image64

I once quoted a paragraph to prove a point...item rejected.  I linked to the authority to prove the point, item rejected.

Shyron E Shenkoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

This is what I thought, but then my Hubber score goes down again, and just when I think I will publish down it goes.  I have decided that anytime it drops I will just turn off my computer and do something else.
      Thank you for answering this. Frustrati

10. bizgrrl profile image62
    bizgrrlposted 8 years ago

I've decided not to make any more Hubs 'cause there's no traffic to the Hubs. So what's the point if no one is around to check them out, let alone click a link?

The key feature is traffic. We have to network our work.  Of course, if we do we are labelled 'self spammers' . so that's the bind.

bizgrrl, I hope not, for a writer to stop writing would be such a waste, I want to hear what people have to say even if I disagree with it. don't stop writing.

11. JEDIJESSICUH profile image75
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 8 years ago

I don't understand the issue about HubScore, to be quite frank.

My last published hub was in March of 2012. I haven't done any work on my hubs since then. I was busy raising a child and in 2013 I started back in the workforce again post-partum. My HubScore is 86. It has fluctuated over the last three years with no real rhyme or reason.

I still get traffic from Google to a dozen hubs frequently. I make at least 2 pay outs a year in passive Hubpages income. HubScore honestly doesn't mean much to me. If you're writing what others want to read, and it's well-written and informative, ignore their algorithms and keep writing.

Jessica, thank you for answering this question.
      I do plan on continuing to write. That being said, I find it disheartening when each and every time I publish a Hub, my Hubber score goes down.

12. Virginia Allain profile image89
    Virginia Allainposted 8 years ago

I hope not, but must admit that I'm getting pretty discouraged. Too many of my hubs are unfeatured and when I rework them and hit publish, only about 20% achieve featuring.

Precisely!   I've waste hours of my life trying to 'fix' them and back to unfeatured

Virginia, I am only talking about the Hubber score, the 1st thing someone sees when looking at your profile. Maybe you could ask a question about "Featured Hubs"  my question is about Hubber Scores, Is it indicative of you/your writing?

13. qeyler profile image64
    qeylerposted 8 years ago

I have reached a stage with Hubpages in that I am considering it a 'storage' site.   You can write a great piece and then it is 'not featured;.  You can spend hours 'fixing' it, and it is up a day, then down forever.

I don't know what kind of nonsene Hubpages is playing with the 'Hubber Score' but ignore it.

Since the Panda Slap down, the admin has been nuts.

1. mtariqsattar profile image76

Qeyler, when you right good, but it is not featured, that jus pisses you off!

Thanks geyler for the feed back.  The hubber score is hard to ignore when I go to someone's profile page and the first thing I see is a low score, and I wonder if that is indicative of the quality of their writing, and sometimes it is.

14. ajwrites57 profile image86
    ajwrites57posted 8 years ago

Maybe they will take O'bama's lead and do away with scores altogether.

AJ, have you been nipping at the Kool Aid and the weed? Because your answer does not make any sense, and has nothing to do with my question.

15. profile image57
    Pink Photo Jenposted 8 years ago

So, for a newbie who is looking to start blogging for extra income, what would you suggest?  I chose Hub because it seemed like a great place for beginners to get viewers and build from there.  I think it would take years to get a blog active enough to generate some decent money through ads.  I have a lot of experiences and knowledge I'd like to share, but if I'm going to take the time to put it on the web in a quality way, then I'd like to earn some spendig money in the process.

try blogjob  it is interesting.  With Hubpages, as I've said, post here, and when you get that empty circle, meaning you don't exist, post the item elsewhere.  Two bites of the cherry.

2. profile image57
      Pink Photo Jenposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

3. Richard Nieh profile image60
      Richard Niehposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You should not try to use hub to earn extra income in my opinion unless you are confident that you are good writer. However, if you are that good of writer, maybe you should find an actual writing job that pays. Hubbing for money is hard work.

4. Virginia Allain profile image89
      Virginia Allainposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've been trying out a site called Trendzic which is for affiliate marketing. I only had 3 pages posted there and one of the Halloween ones was quite successful, earning $48 last month.

Jennifer, I hope you do write for HP because you love to write, and  join a community of writers who will care about you. 
      Please don't misunderstand my question.  I am here because I love to write. But, people don't read low Hubber score hubs.

16. rockandhardplace profile image58
    rockandhardplaceposted 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm new to hub pages, can someone explain to me what points are?

If you go to your page and look at your post you'll see numbers...that is your score.  It isn't pretty.

rockandhardplace, thank you  for answering my question, but I think you missed the point.  Your Hubber score 60 shows with you profile picture. After you publish some hubs go to your account scroll down your hubs and you will see the hub score for

17. My Esoteric profile image87
    My Esotericposted 8 years ago

I stopped looking at it as it doesn't seem to provide any useful information.  Instead, I watch the "featured" icon and the individual hub scores ... if they are low.

Like others have said, lower hub scores don't seem to affect reader viewing habits; but I do care about being "featured".

I don't 'get it' myself.  I have a 'non features' article which is getting hits and #2 in my 'hit parade'.   I think since the Panda kicked them, they are now a bit looney

Thank you Esoteric, I too worry about the "feature" icon. It is just the first impression.  I think about the old cliché "You never get a second chance to make a good first impression."  Would you want to read someone's work if their score is 50 vs90

3. rodrigo sebidos profile image68

Shyron, maybe you can ask Management to drop the individual score and see if it will improve readership of our Hubs? however, this all depends with the readers, just like saying 'Your English is good,  but we need substance" Significant?

4. My Esoteric profile image87
      My Esotericposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure I am conscious of the hubber's score when I read their work.  Somewhat off subject is HPs habit of taking ads off if my hub contains info on suicides ... I get a big dollar sign with the diagonal line through it.

5. rodrigo sebidos profile image68

If that's the case, Management should explain to us WHY? this generates a lot of speculations not good for  Writers? also, if the topic is controversial, HP will shelve it, my hub on SSRIs though featured is one. HP has the right, TERMS & CONDITI

6. Shyron E Shenko profile image70

My Esoteric, I care about all the things you mention, but I also care about making a good first impression and you never get a second to make a good first impression.

18. Lila Raines profile image60
    Lila Rainesposted 8 years ago

I understand your frustration and have often been discouraged. However, after writing on here for many years, I have learned that your Hub Score means very little. The only thing you should care about is getting your individual hubs ranked well and getting traffic. If you have a 99 and only make $1 a month, what good is that? But, if you have a 90, and make $50 a month, you are doing well. In my opinion, create quality hubs, then worry about getting traffic to them.

Lila, thank you for answering my question. I do feel discouraged when my Hubber score with my face is low.  If I look at a profile that has a low Hubber score it makes me think their hubs are not feature quality.

19. AshlyChristen profile image80
    AshlyChristenposted 8 years ago

i just joined
    im still learning how to operate myself
    maybe its a test of perseverance and dedication and love of writing
    follow me and ill follow you! we can help each other out!

Ashley, it is my love of writing that has kept me here. I hope you will keep writing here. I will not quit but, I find it discouraging with the up and down of the hubber score.

20. mtariqsattar profile image76
    mtariqsattarposted 8 years ago

I don't understand hub score either. Its just recently, I have started writing more on hub pages as for past four years my profile was dormant. However my hub score was above 70 around whole time.

Just couple of days ago, it fell again where it used to be. One wonders whats is the deal there?
    But I would advice you not to look at hubscore, just mind what you are here for, notwithstanding the disappointments that as a writer one gets.Thanks, have a good day.

I once had a score of 99...now it's in the toilet.  I remember the crap writers having scores of 100...and writing nothing.  Don't worry about it. Right interesting hubs, people will read them

2. mtariqsattar profile image76

Exactly...its all about writing interesting hubs....and that all it matters, and nothing else! Have a good day.

3. fpherj48 profile image61

Reading these threads is painful.  Grammar, spelling and usage is literally shameful.  In 4 places, the word "right" is used for "write!!!"  If you cannot get something that simple and basic, find another hobby for certain.

4. rodrigo sebidos profile image68

Yes, you made a point Paula, why don't we ask Management to shed light on  this? being new to HP, I would like to know also How it is computed? and  in order to dispell all these speculations for the satisfaction of everyone!

21. Richard Nieh profile image60
    Richard Niehposted 8 years ago

I am a new hubber and simply cannot publish my article because it cannot be featured. I really have some difficulties. There are some great advises from the forum but the main issue is about my English abilities. Some of the advice is telling me to walk a dog or run some errands for others so native English speakers can do editing for me. Well, not sure about if I should ask any English speaker or actually need to find a actual English editor. I simply don't think it is worth it for me to hire anyone, editor or not, to just correct my English.

I am 40 years old living alone in the UK and working as a senior engineer, my family is in Taiwan and they won't be helpful at all to correct my English. My colleagues all have families and they don't even pick up the phone after work. I am trying to learn PHP during my off time and I just spent 30 hours on one article trying to publish it and still failing. I am not going to 'walk a dog' to publish an article and certainly not going to pay anyone to edit my English.

I guess I just don't belong to this site or maybe when I am retired from my job. It is better I just find a normal blogging site that I can actually post my articles. All I wanted is just sharing some information I think is good. However, other than feeling frustrated and insulted, I am gaining nothing. Sorry if I disrespected any other users in this site, a lot of hubbers actually post many great articles and sorry about my ranting; can't help it.

go to mylot.com

Richard, don't walk a dog. If you love to write, keep on writing.  Write first in you own language then figure out how to translate it in English.

3. helenstuart profile image61
      helenstuartposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Are you kidding me? That "advice" was incredibly , terribly , rude. Beyond rude, and inappropriate. I did not detect a HINT of anything but the king's english in your letter just now! Much better than my own. Were these fellow hubbers or Hubpages.com

4. Aunt Jimi profile image60
      Aunt Jimiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Helen, HP requires hubs be written in English, ideally good business English.  A good way to have one's hub rejected/not featured/unpublished, is to not write it in reasonably good English.  Check out the Learning Center.

Nice encouragement Aunt Jimi! Writers at HP need that boost.Thanks

6. fpherj48 profile image61

Whoa!  Step back a sec. Helen girl!  Shyron couldn't be "rude" if she took a private 4-yr course in rudeness!  Her comment is what normal people would refer to as, "support."  Might be time 4 U to walk one of your many dogs.

7. Au fait profile image85

Paula, you are so right.  Richard asked a question and presumably wanted a straight answer, not some sugary mumbly jumbly.  Shyron would never be rude to anyone so far as I can tell.

8. fpherj48 profile image61

Agreed, CE.......and Richard, just my humble opinion, but your English is not as bad as you seem to think. In fact, considering some of the work displayed on HP, you write as well as an English scholar!! Time & practice! We got your back!

9. rodrigo sebidos profile image68

Richard, there are on -line English editors that can help you improve the quality of your hub, 4 example,  you can subscribe to Grammarly, but of course,  your subject must be will research, good English w/out substance is not a guarantee 2 publish.

10. Shyron E Shenko profile image70

Helen, I am suggesting that Richard keep on writing, I gather from his answer English is not his first language. Tsu is from Taiwan. 
      Sorry if it seemed rude to you.

22. rodrigo sebidos profile image68
    rodrigo sebidosposted 8 years ago

Shyron, I am also new to HP, I joined HP last June his year. I noticed the same my score is down 2 points this time, but I did not put so much thought about it, thinking probably that my articles are not sellable. However, when I check the STATS, the overall score is increasing every day(kept records), to me this is more important. IN other words, readers like to read your article regardless of your score. You know my first Hub (400-500 words) although it was featured it was a  disappointment to me, but it did not discourage me to strive for improvement, so I made some innovation of my own( you can check my Hubs)First, think that there are two types of readers out there, the non-technical and the technical, no problem with the former because these readers will read your article as long as they get the information they needed. the later is more critical, which means they assess  how credible is your article, to do this you have to show your source or citations, to indicate what kind of literature you're reading/gathering, cite authors, journals,  magazine, etc. although in most hubs I visited as published in HP there were references indicated at the end, but only a few cite the source/author(s) in the Text including some of those in the Editor's Choice (minimal?) This is very important for technical people. From where I come from, the norm is "Publish or Perish" which means, you can't publish without  literature search, cite authority in order to give more credence to your work even if your work is judged "original". Second, If you have noticed in the HUB Tool, the first trance of words is 700? HP is wise on this, they know that without literature search well "run out of juice" discussing even if the idea is original( my own experience) of course you can continue,  but technical readers will say Blah-Blah! of your article not substantive and so they well not stay long you'll lose impressions critical in computing your earnings. also, if possible,  exceed the maximum words in the HubTool(1,200+ words?) that would be very advantageous.This is easily attained once you have gathered info on the subject. I recommend use HP hub tool, it's user-friendly and they will guide you (moreTIPS?) and I find it very useful! Well, this is my experience being new to HP, of course,  I can't compare mine with other writers, each one of us has its own unique style of writing and interest

Thank you Rodrigo for the feed back.  I have been on HP for over 3 years and many times I have been frustrated by the Hubber score and that is the purpose of my question. 
      Is the Hubber score indicative of the quality of the author's writing?

23. savvydating profile image89
    savvydatingposted 8 years ago

What I don't understand is when a hub with a high score and a lot of solid research gets unpublished. That's what I find discouraging. It's a gamble to do all this research, only to have your hub disappear.  Sure, we should all rise above it all, but a high score deserves to be published in my opinion. But to your question, my hub score goes up and down all the time, especially if I make a comment about Hillary. Lol. But that won't stop me.

1. rodrigo sebidos profile image68

Savvy dating, all  writers must hve experienced discouragement in a 0ne way or another at HP, but d're r rules to follow, HP is not on censorship, dy are doing business, they hve rules also beyond our reach, HP is doing ds 2 protct d' rest. OK?

2. savvydating profile image89
      savvydatingposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I got it wrong, Rodrigo. My article was "unfeatured." Despite the high score, the subject matter may not have drawn enough viewers. That's my guess.

3. Shyron E Shenko profile image70

Thank you Savvy, for your answer to this question.

24. profile image0
    ARaineyposted 8 years ago

I think they are trying to ensure quality of the site and establish it as an authority.

1. profile image0
      ARaineyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

no problem!

Thanks MedicWriter, my question is about the Hubber score that shows with your profile picture, are you saying HP is grading the quality of our hubs?

Shyron, I believe, it's a composite score, but what are the sources? Thanks

4. Aunt Jimi profile image60
      Aunt Jimiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's the point Rod.  HP isn't telling how they arrive at anyone's particular hubber score.  No one has that information except HP and they're not sharing.

Yes, I guess we have enough discussion already on the question of Shyron and to all of us writers at HP for management to give their side?

6. Shyron E Shenko profile image70

Aunt Jimi, thank you for your answer to my question, you are spot on as usual.

25. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
    LoisRyan13903posted 8 years ago

I am pretty sure.  I just received notification that several of my hubs were unpublished because of duplicate content.  Well I did a google search with the first two sentences and did find it elsewhere on the web on a site where the person copies and pasted it to his site about a year after I posted it on Hub Pages.  He did it without my permission.  I know hub pages policy but it should only be in effect that there should be no copies on the web before you publish to Hub Pages but not after.  They should realize that there are these blatant thieves lurking around.  I am in the process of unpublishing the rest of my hubs so this person doesn't steal any of my other hubs.  Not sure what I want to do-still write on hubpages or go to a different site.

Lois, If you know who stole you content go to Google and file a complaint and force them to take down what they have posted. Or reach out to HubPages to help you.
      Good luck with this.

2. CELEBSFAN78 profile image83
      CELEBSFAN78posted 7 years agoin reply to this

LoisRyan13903,
      I totally understand your frustration with the duplicate content thing. It has happened quite a few times to me in just three months of writing under my new username. It is really strange how this happens.

3. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
      LoisRyan13903posted 7 years agoin reply to this

There are some sites that will remove it if you tell them.  Problem with other sites you have to prove that it is yours.  But by then it is unpublished.  Currently writing on another site and got most of my articles removed

26. DDE profile image46
    DDEposted 8 years ago

Hi Shyron I noticed the exact same with my hubscore I have to work on my hubs.

Thank you Devika, I saw that on your hubs also.
      I hope all is well with you.

27. jemuelO profile image87
    jemuelOposted 8 years ago

I understand how it feels to see your hubscore fluctuating each day - it's disheartening! Well, anyway don't get caught with hubscore, just keep on writing good quality hubs.

Hubscore computation involves complex factors, which includes quality, your active participation to the community, and other factors that only HP knows. It is just an internal thing, it does not have to do with google traffic.

So the next time you see your hubscore going down, just hang on and write more hubs.

28. billybuc profile image85
    billybucposted 8 years ago

Sheez, I'm just here because of all of you. This is my community. I love the people here. HP and their scores mean nothing to me and never have.  I think I'll just continue to hang with some great people for as long as you guys will have me.

1. fpherj48 profile image61

Must be telepathy bro. A light has to go on so we KNOW that no stranger sitting behind the scenes, pushing buttons at random, could no way in hell, no how, steal my joy. (A little PISSED maybe, but still smiling!) LOL

Everyone loves you Bill (billybuc), that includes me. thank you for your feedback.

29. blueheron profile image91
    blueheronposted 8 years ago

As far as I know, hubbers have no real idea how the hub score is calculated, and I doubt your hub score has much, if any, practical meaning. If you want to know if you're doing a good job, your number of page views is probably your best indicator. If you're getting a lot of page views, this means you are writing about subjects that interest people. And even page views go up and down, depending on Google's good graces, and is not necessarily a reflection on your writing. If your goal is to make some money, realize that this takes time--and a lot of hubs. It's also highly unpredictable which hubs will produce the most page views. Go figure! The main thing to realize is that your hub score is not a grade on your work, or even a loose kind of guide to the quality of your work. It doesn't have a lot of meaning.

30. Edgemaster profile image68
    Edgemasterposted 8 years ago

I didn't know that the score mattered that much. I just thought it meant trafffic was going to the hubs with higher score. The only discouraging part I get is when writing a hub that requires a link and I get an email saying I have spammy elements in my hub. Kinda kills the information that I'm trying to give in my hub. So I go back and make the links just text and all is good. But now anyone reading my hub will have to copy paste my links that I'm talking about. Either way I'm still using Hubpages to improve my writing skills and become a better communicator to the world.

Edgemaster, to me it is a subliminal message that is grading me as a writer and whether you think so are not it affects people to see their hubber score drop (usually by 2 points) every time a hub is published.
      I thank you for answering my question.

31. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 8 years ago

Of course it's in HP's interest to keep as many people writing as possible. The Hubber score is a loose representation or your level of interaction and quality of hubs. Very loose.

I think as a writer it's important to keep standards high, but also to just do your own thing and not care too much about the end results. I've had hubs that flopped, but I've also had hubs that went viral. If you're doing your best, that's the best you can do, and you should be proud of your work. If a simple little number is discouraging you from writing, I believe you're writing for all the wrong reasons!

I fully agree with you Faceless, as writers'  at HP, we should cultivate that kind of attitude!

Thanks for the answer Faceless, I write because I love it, but I don't want to see the hubber score drop by 2 points every time a hub is published. Good first impression.

32. Rock_nj profile image90
    Rock_njposted 8 years ago

I wouldn't worry about your HubScore.  It is and has always been a mystery.  I had it up to 100 at no point, and had no idea why.  As long as you are above 80, you are good.  Let it fluctuate. 

I am more concerned with some of their publishing standards that seem to be a bit harsh for my taste.

33. Jumpto profile image60
    Jumptoposted 8 years ago

I got moved over to Hubpages when they bought Squidoo. I got to tell you that all my blogs on Squdoo will never be reposted here. The interface is no where near as friendly as Squidoo was and the points system here is bizarre by comparison. If I wanted a business like interface to write with I would have gone to Wordpress. Frankly the best thing that Hubpages could do for their business is bail on this software entirely and put up the Squidoo code (they must have got it in the purchase). Squidoo was fun and easy to understand. Hubpages is just work.

Jumpto, thank you for your feedback, but my question is about the hubber score that is shown with our profile picture.   
      I know a friend who wrote for Squidoo.

2. Jumpto profile image60
      Jumptoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes I realize that. My point was more towards the hubber score being pale compared to the Squidoo scoring system. It was a real blast writing there and I miss it a lot.

Jumpto, I guess HP and Squidoo have different personalities and style. Just bear it for the main time until this thing is settled at HP.

4. Jumpto profile image60
      Jumptoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I did send an email to HP and suggested that they take the code from Squidoo and use that instead. They should have acquired it in the purchase.

34. Eric Seidel profile image94
    Eric Seidelposted 8 years ago

I'm not too concerned about my hub score as much as I'm concerned about this new link domain thing that have been taking about. Although it's nice to be rated highly.

I've made almost a hundred links to my Hubs through other Hubs and other websites. I'm just a little stressed that these new domains might mess that up.

35. kaiyan717 profile image85
    kaiyan717posted 8 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the score. I make just as much no matter the score. I don't quite get the point of it, but I suppose it is to push activity. I am not on here much so mine stays low, but the money is still the same so they can score me how they like.

Thank you Kaiyan717, it is not about the money, although that would be nice. I feel that the lower the hubber score the less likely people are to read what we have written.

36. The Underholt profile image86
    The Underholtposted 8 years ago

I wouldn't worry too much about the Hubber score. I would worry more about the content in your hubs. When I first started, I wrote disgustingly horrible hubs - more so about personal feelings than what I do now and my Hubber score reflected that (around a 60). After revamping what I contribute to the community, I saw my score rise steadily (it helped that I have an Editors Choice Hub I guess?).

Point is - I don't care much about the score. Quality hubs are quality hubs - regardless of the Hubber's score.

Right put, Underholt, especially the "substance" readers will appreciate that, though hubber score might impress but  readers will still read and in this way you're evaluated based on quality content not your hubber score. QUALITY IS THE KEY! Ty.

37. Shyron E Shenko profile image70
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 8 years ago

Again, overnight my hub score dropped, to discourage me? Maybe, but it does not encourage me to write more hubs, just when I came to write one, this does not motivate me in the least.

38. tlcs profile image61
    tlcsposted 7 years ago

I think hubpages only wants the best. And they thrive in getting us writers to produce good, interesting and quality hubs. I wouldn't be interested in writing on hubpages if they let writers just publish bad work. I like the fact that when I look at others hubs they are of excellent quality, this would not be the case if the work was not reviewed. So no in answer to your question they are working with you to produce good quality hubs not trying to get you to quit writing. Perserverence is the key.

rodrigo sebidosposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your comments, I understand that.,  When I write  an article, I don't have a prepared draft,  the template is my working draft until it is finally. published, what I don't liked it is marked  substandard not yet published? Very insulting!

39. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

No. They just sent out an email cheering that article creation rates are up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)