jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Does a Chinchilla make for a good pet? Have you had one?

1. Missing Link profile image81
    Missing Linkposted 17 months ago

Does a Chinchilla make for a good pet?  Have you had one?

My son wants a pet and I want him to have one.  A cat or dog is out of the question per a scenario that we have.  We need something smaller and cuddly so a crab, for example, is not desired.  We have been talking about a Chinchilla in this regard.  Is this a good pet to have?  Why or why not?  Thanks!

2. DrMark1961 profile image100
    DrMark1961posted 17 months ago

They are heat sensitive, so depending on where you live this could be a problem. Also, depending on how old your son is, they are relatively expensive. If your son likes dogs and cats, what about a ferret? (Great pets but not legal in all states in the US)

Missing Linkposted 17 months agoin reply to this

That's a great idea!  Thanks for the feedback, information, etc.

3. dingyskipper profile image64
    dingyskipperposted 17 months ago

I have owned  2 chinchillas. They are very nice to touch, but do not really like being cuddled. They cannot scratch you like a cat or rabbit, in fact there best means of defence is run away or turn and pee in the face of the enemy. They are little poop machines, constantly dropping small pellets of the stuff as the roam about! They need robust cages with plenty of room to move about. They need to chew hay and untreated wood to keep their teeth small.' I would consider a Cavy  "Guinea Pig" a good pet. With gentle handling from the start most can become fond of sitting on laps. The problem with these is chewing is a must as Chinchillas and also a definite smell if not cleaned out regularly. Can be kept out side in lots of places, in a cat, dog, fox etc proof hutch

Missing Linkposted 17 months agoin reply to this

Excellent and very helpful information---thank you for taking the time to answer!

2. dingyskipper profile image64
      dingyskipperposted 17 months agoin reply to this

It's a pleasure

working