jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you agree with the decision by Roseville MN. to ban the sale of pets in comme

1. lifelovemystery profile image94
    lifelovemysteryposted 13 months ago

Do you agree with the decision by Roseville MN. to ban the sale of pets in commercial stores?

2. Aime F profile image83
    Aime Fposted 13 months ago

Absolutely, though I know that some other places have said it's allowed as long as they're rescue animals, which I also agree with assuming they're given a bigger space to walk around and not kept in a box-sized window cubby.

There are so many animals in shelters and foster homes that need a loving, permanent home.  I know everyone likes the idea of a cute little kitten or puppy but it would be nice if we could get away from that being the only "good" option. 

There are also still lots of puppies and kittens at shelters.  We adopted both of our dogs as puppies but one has behavioural issues (extremely timid and afraid of people - he's 9 now and still this way), and the other was born with cataracts and was almost completely blind (he had surgery a few years ago and now he can see perfectly!).  Neither would have cut it in a pet store where the emphasis is on being cute and playful and fun, but they're still such wonderful companions and family members. 

I find it incredibly rewarding to take in a less-than-perfect animal and show them love.  And I find it very sad to see animals stuck in those tiny enclosures all day every day at the pet store, born and bred for that very purpose.  I am all for redirecting interest and demand towards shelter animals, at the very least it might deter people from getting a pet solely on a whim because they see it at a store and think it's cute without realizing what's really involved in caring for a pet.

3. Terrielynn1 profile image94
    Terrielynn1posted 13 months ago

I wish Canada would do this. I have found many stores that don't treat the animals properly and some don't even know what their proper care is. I know acuople stores that were ban from selling because of improper care. I won't buy from a pet store, it only promotes animals for money. It's not good when their animals look sick already in the store. All my animals right now are rescued.

4. Leonard Tillerman profile image99
    Leonard Tillermanposted 13 months ago

I absolutely agree with this.  I am in Canada as well and wish we would follow suit with this.  The vast majority of their animals come from puppy mills. According to the Humane Society of the United States:
    "Puppy mills are inhumane commercial dog breeding facilities that may sell puppies in pet stores"  The stat holds true in Canada.
    Puppy mills are "for profit" operations and as such they keep all costs down.  That is why many of the little pups and animals look so sickly.  They are also prone to passing away relatively soon and developing chronic health problems.   
    People are still buying pets from puppy mills even when the ASPCA has published a stat that each year, approximately 1.5 million shelter animals are euthanized (670,000 dogs and 860,000 cats). 
    We need to get our animals from shelters.  Congratulations to Roseville MN for being ahead of the issue.  Canada...listen up!

working