Hi l need help with a diet for my little 2 yr old Gizmo, who is 10 lbs and has a

1. profile image59
    Catte Nicholsonposted 5 months ago

Hi l need help with a diet for my little 2 yr old Gizmo, who is 10 lbs and has a liver shunt.

My little boy, a shitzu  poodle mix, was diagnosed at 4 months with a liver shunt. He's on a vegetarian diet of boiled eggs, yogurt and kidney beans, fruits, vegetables and oils. It worked for him up until recently, but now he has lost muscle and fat and is a skeleton. He still runs around like crazy and has fun but his episodes are more frequent and I'm starting to feel we're losing the battle. Can you please advise on a new diet with exact measurements I can try that can help add some fat to his little body? I even started milk thistle yesterday, not sure if that'll help. Thank u so much!

2. chapman-laura profile image75
    chapman-lauraposted 5 months ago

Hello, is the yoghurt dairy? if so this can cause the dog to have diarrhoea and thus make it lose weight quicker. monitor how much carbohydrates he is getting because too little can mean he will burn more energy than he's eating.

Finally and more importantly arrange a meeting with the vet or a nurse that specializes in nutrition to help you along.

Good Luck and hope he improves soon smile

working