Need Help! Has to do with the little red skull....

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Jamie Brock profile image92
    Jamie Brockposted 11 years ago

One of my hubs was flagged with the little red skull for Links To Malware or Phishing Sites.  Problem is I've gone through each and every link and I can't figure out which link it could possibly be referring to. Each link goes directly to where it is supposed to go without any kind of warning messages. I've had this happen before but I was able to find the link.  Would someone else mind taking a look.. maybe I'm missing something?  This is the hub: Decorative Paper Crafts: 19 Fun Ways to Use Patterned Paper and Cardstock.

Any help is greatly appreciated smile

1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image96
      Glimmer Twin Fanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I clicked on all of your links and I could get to every site.  The only thing that was a little different was under the marble section...the link to your hub appears 2 times, right next to each other.  1/2 of the hub title was a link and the other 1/2 was also a link, both to the same hub.  But I could still get to the hub.  Not sure if I helped or not.  Good luck.

Jamie Brockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Glimmer Twin smile I appreciate you taking a look.. I will go and re-do that link for safe measure...not sure if that is it but you never know...I'll try to do a check for violations after and see if the red skull is gone. You did confirm just what I thought about the rest of the links though. It did say specifically that it was flagged because of links to Malware or Phishing sites and none of those sites appear to be those type sites so I'm thinking that it must be a mistake.  I guess I'll have to go bug HP staff again. I hate having to bug them but sometimes I don't have a choice. Thanks again for your help smile

2. Jamie Brock profile image92

I just fixed the double link that you found and ran the violations checker and that was it! Thank you so much for finding that! I swear I would probably have never found that. Thank you smile No more red skull for me... at least for now hmm

1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image96
          Glimmer Twin Fanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cool!  I'm usually not much of a problem fixer here on HP.:-)  I'm glad it helped!

Me too! Thank you again.. this is something I will definitely be keeping in mind as those little skulls tend to pop up every now and then smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you open the Hub, you should be able to find an explanation telling you exactly which link is the problem.

I did look but it didn't indicate the link it was referring to... that is why I was so frustrated.  I even double and triple checked..believe me, I hate having to ask for help.  I guess it doesn't always tell which link.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just checking that you did scroll down to the end of the explanation - that's where the link usually is. If it's not there, it's more than likely it's some kind of glitch causing false warnings.  It happens here every now and then.

I think what happened was I put the same link twice in the two word anchor text (a link in each word) I have no idea how I managed that..but anyway, after I corrected it, the red skull was no longer there.

2. profile image0
    Bronwyn J Hansenposted 11 years ago

I had a problem a while back where a Hub was Hub was full of pop-unders. It turned out that Google Chrome was putting them in. Now I use the latest Firefox.

I use Firefox too.. I've never really had any problem with it. I'm glad I didn't switch to chrome....I was thinking about it for a while.

1. teaches12345 profile image77
        teaches12345posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I use Firefox as as well.  Good to know what to do should this happen in the future.  Thanks for asking.

You are welcome, teaches smile  I am so glad that Glimmer Twin found that.. I don't think I ever would have seen that double link and would probably still be sitting here wondering what was going on.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

As mentioned, open the hub in edit mode, click the question mark in the right column.  It will give you the exact link causing the problem.

That is what I thought but for some reason it wasn't highlighting any link... that's why I asked if someone else could help me out. In fact, I never did find any link to be bad.

4. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago

Malware does not always announce itself. Malware often causes problems with your computer and you don't even know it is there til you scan it.

I don't think it was a malware issue anyway... I had put a link in a two word phrase and somehow managed to link back to the hub with each word so I actually had 2 links to the same hub in each word of the anchor text (geez.. I hope that made sense!)  I guess it just now caught it... This hub has been published for ages. Anyway, I made both words into one link (like it should have been) and apparently that was it because the skull went away after that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)