Who thinks it's okay to eat a pet?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (54 posts)
  1. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I was having an email debate with a U.S. Representative last night via emails back and forth. She's behind the opposition to a bipartisan bill that would  ban shipping U.S. horses to Mexico and Canada to be butchered for food. I told her I didn't agree with eating companion animals/pets like horses, dogs, and cats, and she said she saw nothing worng with it. Many of these horses are treated horrifically - much worse than cattle and pigs are in American slaughterhouses. She tried to make me think I was being totally unreasonable, but from what I can find, 80% of Americans are against this practice. So...what do you think?

BTW, I'm not talking about eating a pet/companion animal if you were starving to death.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, she's a Republican. Our former Congressman, a Democrat, also supported horse slaughter. He basically told me that people should be able to do what they want with animals. I had voted for him before, but in 2010 I voted against him and encouraged everyone I knew to do the same, and he lost his re-election bid.

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

I had read a article about this practice one time, long ago. I agree there should be a more humane practice and there are groups offering 'retirement' homes. Maybe if this issue is more publicized - these 'retirement' homes can have more help and these animals can least live peacefully. sad

1. habee profile image91
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Dame. I just wrote a hub about the topic, which is what got me into a debate with the Congresswoman. I contacted her after I discovered she was leading the opposition to the legislation that would ban shipping our horses to end up as meat on dinner tables in Europe and Asia.

3. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

Personally the issue here for me is down to how animals are treated while alive. I lived on a goat farm in Missouri and had to get used to eating 'pets'. I had a pet goat, Romeo, that I had helped deliver with my mom, I fed him daily and he was my pet. One day he was gone, but since we sold animals to other farms often I didn't worry too much about it, until my mom says to me one evening 'Guess who you'r eating?'
    She then told me it was Romeo. My mom was a firm believer in eating whats put in front of you without complaining, and the clean plate club. I really didn't want to eat dinner that had had a name ya know, but there wasn't really much choice with my mum (she isn't like modern moms, she never gave a inch when she said to do something). So I can understand eating a pet and know that ultimately if you eat meat you are eating something that was a living being. Why should a cat be of more value then a cow or goat?
    What upsets me is how animals in general are treated. If these horses were being treated lovingly (like Romeo had been when I played with him and fed him daily) then their becoming food wouldn't upset me, food has to come from somewhere. What bothers me is the inhumane treatment they are getting while alive, and horrific slaughtering. If it's not legal to do at home it shouldn't be legal to send the animals to Mexico just to get around local law.

1. habee profile image91

I mostly agree with your points. I couldn't eat a critter with a name, but that's me. When you have a close relationship with an animal and it trusts you completely, I couldn't kill it unless my family and I were starving. My biggest concern, however, is HOW the animals are killed and what they have to endure just prior to death.

4. profile image0
    RookerySpoonerposted 12 years ago

Anyone who thinks this way, would be the last sort of person I would want to represent me politically.  If she can't see how this practise will make the majority of people feel, then she will not be able to understand how the people she represents think about anything. 

I recently read an article about how dairy cattle are slaughtered.  I am a vegetarian, but not a vegan, so do drink milk.  However I had never considered how dairy cattle are treated at the end of their lives.  The cows are stunned at the slaughterhouse, but are still living when they have their legs sawn off.  It is sickening, that after a lifetime of giving their milk, which is naturally only intended for their own offspring, that they are so horrifically killed.  Humans have a never-ending capacity for evil.

1. habee profile image91

And as bad as conditions are in some U.S. slaughterhouses, they're even worse in Mexico, where there are few regulations. The Congresswoman said that the few kill houses in Mexico that are inspected are better, but she admitted that in the ones that aren't inspected, there are very few regulations.

5. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 12 years ago

I think it's horrible and am completely against the killing of horses. Here in the UK I believe they are already slaughtered and end up as pet food, which totally sickens me. They are such beautiful creatures.

1. habee profile image91

The U.S. stopped killing horses for pet food in the 70s, and all horse kill houses were shut down in 2007. Now we allow Mexico and Canada to do our "dirty work."

6. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

I would write a article about gov't officials supporting inhumane practices too wink shhhh smile you didn't hear that from me lol

1. habee profile image91

LOL!

7. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I love horses. However, anyone who eats meat has to be able to understand that it is a little hypocritical to pick and choose what furry friend is going to end up on the dinner table.

Pigs are much smarter than horses. Will we give up ham and sausage?   Cows have the eyes of angels. Should I say no to beef?

I'm sorry. Until we all take up a vegetarian lifestyle I don't feel justified in denying others the meat they choose to eat.

1. profile image0
      RookerySpoonerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  All animals suffer the same pain and distress.  In the West people seem happy to have their roast on a Sunday, but criticise those in other countries for eating different kinds of animals.  Different animals are used for different purposes in different parts of the world.  Animals are treated just as sickeningly in the West, but people don't realise how horrifically they are treated.  All they see is a bit of meat wrapped in plastic on their supermarket shelves, and don't even think of the animal it was cut from.

2. habee profile image91

Again, my biggest objection is in HOW the horses are killed - not THAT the horses are killed. Cows in US slaughterhouses are stunned with a captive bolt gun. Horses in Mexico are often hacked with a knife, just in front of the withers. Even when a captive bolt is used on horses, it's not as effective as it is on cows, due to the position of a horse's brain. In some Canadian kill houses, the horses are shot with a rifle, which is much more humane, in my opinion.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The video you see of the slaughter animals here appears to be humane. I'm sure you've seen the worst of the videos Mexico has to offer.  When we raised our own meat, we made sure it was killed on the property. We monitored to ensure they didn't know it was coming.

I have a friend who is a vegetarian. He is a vet who worked in the meat processing industry, verifying animals were healthy before slaughter. He worked in a facility that stayed well within regulatory guidelines. He said the animals knew it was coming. They reacted, with almost human emotion. Some, resolved to their fate. Some kicking and screaming. He claimed the pigs cried.

Murder is murder, though. And that is what we do in order to satisfy our palate. There's no way around it.

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seriously, murder??  You consider killing animals to be murder??
          Yet I recall seeing you speak in favor of a woman's "right" to abortion, if I'm not mistaken.

1. profile image0

Taking away a life is murder.  I realise that most humans believe that we are unique and that God put animals on Earth to be eaten by humans.  They therefore believe animals do not suffer pain or distress, which they view as something experienced only by humans.  However, this goes against scientific evidence. 

Having had cats who have died, in obvious agony, which was particularly distressing, it is obvious to me, that they experience exactly what we experience.  And people are perfectly happy to eat young animals, but would be distressed if their own children were to be eaten by another animal.  Young animals are the children of other species.  I never understand how humans manage to compartmentalise their feelings.  I have never been able to do this.  When I see a piece of meat on a butcher's slab, I know that it was once part of a living sentient creature, which had as much right to life as we humans do.

1. Greek One profile image63
              Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, taking away a life is 'killing'..  murder implies criminality...

Whether the killing of a given animal is classified as 'murder' is a legal issue law, and whether it should be is a personal belief... but in an of itself 'killing' does not automatically mean 'murder'.

I respect people who have empathy for animals.. but personally, i feel a chicken's 'right to life' ends where my appetite begins.

1. profile image0

Your idea of a chicken's right to life is all too common, and is I believe evidence that humans have not evolved as far as we like to think we have.  We may have civilisation, but scratch the surface, and we are all naked apes at heart.

1. profile image0

Eh...speak for yourself, 'cause I'm not a naked ape, nor any kind of ape, at heart nor literally!  roll

1. profile image0

I understand that we are from different species to each other.  I am evolved from a common ancestor to man and modern apes, whilst you are descended from Adam and Eve, who were created by God six thousand years ago.  Maybe this explains why our views are so different.

2. Greek One profile image63

If a naked ape was yummy, I would eat one too

2. profile image0

Unless the definition has been changed via some act of liberalism, no, taking away just any life is not murder!  Murder means the killing of a human being.
              If one wanted to go by your view, then the sport of fishing would be a murderous act.  (Some fish have even been heard to "cry".)   

I do very much agree that it's wrong to kill anything just for the "fun" of killing (and even most fishermen will throw a fish back into the water), and I have pets (as I said before); and I know they can feel pain.  But your definition and scenario is messed-up, seriously.   I'm not gonna feel sorrow when I spray a nest of wasps on my front porch.  Do you?

1. profile image0

Yes, the term murder is only applied to the killing of a human being, because as we humans are the dominant animal on the planet, we get to make the rules.  However, as a vegetarian, I recognise that I am an animal and that I have no more right to life than does any other animal.  I realise you believe in God, and will therefore believe that God made animals to be consumed by humans.  However, as evolution shows that humans are a recent development on planet Earth, I cannot understand why God would have created all of the other animals millions of years before humans, if their only puropse was to be farmed and consumed by our own species. 

I am a realist, in recognising that animals have evolved to eat other animals, and therefore realise it is part of nature.  However as someone who believes in the equality of all living creatures, and as humans are supposedly the most evolved animal, then I have developed enough to recognise the rights of my fellow creatures.  I don't believe that the Earth was awaiting our coming and that animals were awaiting our dominion over them.  And along with evolution of the human mind, comes a responsibility to care for other animals, and to think differently than did our primitive ancestors.  There are plenty of things which ancient man saw nothing wrong with, such as slavery and genocide, however, most humans have thankfully grown out of this now, and it is my hope that we will eventually evolve out of our animal nature in other areas.

2. equine profile image68
                equineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is common knowledge in the horse industry that horse slaughter remains rampant.  In 2004 the US government has enacted the Burnes Amendment to the Wild Horse and Burro act of 1971. The act effectively does the following:

1. It amends the 1971 Wild Free-Roaming Horse and Burro Act to allow the sale of wild horses for processing into commercial products.

2. It adds a new subsection to the Act, creating a "horse sale" requirement that mandates that BLM sell " without limitation, at local sale yards or other convenient livestock selling facilities" all wild horses who are either over 10 years old, or who have been offered for adoption 3 times unsuccessfully.  BLM is required to continue to sell horses until all these "excess animals" are disposed of, or AMLs (appropriate management levels) are reached in all herd management areas.

3.  It exempts horses bought pursuant to the new "horse sale" program from the criminal provisions of the Act that make it a crime to process or permit to be processed into commercial products the remains of a wild horse or burro.

Check out the Wild Horse Preservation website for more information.

This youtube video was recently released shows a lot of information and images:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvWBtoQ3 … redirect=1

Information on a recent case was published in horseback magazine:

http://horsebackmagazine.com/hb/archives/10926

BLM mustangs are very smart and emotional.  I own one. They problem solve. They get mad when you go out of town.  They use deductive reasoning.

2. profile image0

How in the world do you jump from a conversation on the ethical treatment of animals to abortion? I’m only going to respond to that part by saying that abortion is not murder. Anyone that calls it that is purposely attempting to emotionalize the issue.

As to the murder comment about animals.  We kill them Brenda. What else would you call it?  I am not a vegetarian, but, I am at least willing to call it what it is.  We kill animals so that we can eat them. I suppose you would prefer to call it justifiable homicide? Animal slaughter? Do you consider man slaughter to be murder?

I raised animals for personal consumption and one of the reasons I did it was because I felt uncomfortable with the meat processing industry.  The giant feed lots to fatten the cattle. The pig processing plants. I wanted to make sure that the animals I consumed were treated ethically and compassionately.

I think everyone should have to stare their dinner in the face at some point, prior to cooking it.  I think we’d eat a little less meat as a nation.

1. profile image0

You answered my question.  You think it's murder to kill an animal, but it's not murder to kill a human being!
              That's seriously messed up.
              That's all.

1. profile image0

Brenda calling me messed up doesn't change facts. It simply means your post is rude.

1. profile image0

I was referring to you ideas and your perceptions being messed up.  That's not rude, considering you posted a description of murder that's not factual.

1. profile image0

I think, anyone willing to condemn others; for not holding the same values they do is wrong. If that is messed up, I could care less.

I will never consciously put myself into a position to insult, belittle, degrade or in any other manner hurt another human being by judging them for decisions they make for themselves. It is not my right. It isn't yours either. If you think it is, you might simply be confused on who is the one messed up.

8. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

...only one from Penthouse

9. manlypoetryman profile image76
    manlypoetrymanposted 12 years ago

My wife once had a dog come up missing permenantly...while living close to people who professed that they did eat dog in their own country...??!

I think of the FFA students who are given a calf to raise and care for...only to have it auctioned off at a livestock show at the end.

And...If I ever have a pet catfish...his time will as be limited on earth as an Extra on the original Star Trek series....getting beamed down next to Spock, Kirk, or McCoy!

That being said...Who would really want to eat dog?

1. profile image0

I've eaten it. To be polite. It's not that bad.

1. manlypoetryman profile image76
        manlypoetrymanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry...but..."EEEERRRRPPP!" (Guess what "EEEERRRPPPP" stands for!?)

1. profile image0

I give up.

2. Greek One profile image63

he would...

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Sports/images-2/michael-vick.jpg

but only the losers

3. profile image0

Speaking of fish....ya know those college kids and whoever it is who swallow goldfish on a dare?.....I say they're committing not just murder but premeditated torture leading to murder!  winklol

1. manlypoetryman profile image76
        manlypoetrymanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True...I would say never own a goldfish in a frat house...from personal experience! lol The goldfish's time on Earth...will also be very limited! big_smile

1. profile image0

ROFL!

10. carebd24 profile image60
    carebd24posted 12 years ago

This is an regional topic . So, some people like to it , but some are does not interested about us . This is conditional parts of ours all human life and different imagine .

11. Alastar Packer profile image72
    Alastar Packerposted 12 years ago

How many people on this thread have been in an American slaughter-house-never mind the horrors of a Mexican one- where bolt guns don't work so well. Its not rare. Does anyone want a detailed description of what happens to the cows?  How many have seen dogs of all breeds crammed into cages on the street , looking at you with sad and pleading eyes as one by one they're inhumanely butchered. This post is no dictum, but if as a human civilization we treat  fellow mammals-whatever their "intelligence level"- like this and say its alright for any reason, can we then truly call ourselves an enlightened civilization in anything else.

1. habee profile image91

I've been in a couple of American slaughterhouses, and they definitely aren't all equal. Some of the killers are skilled and honestly don't want the animal to suffer any more than it has to. Others, however, don't care about the animals' suffering at all. A friend of mine went into a Mexican horse slaughterhouse and was horrified.

Yes, I eat meat. I wish I didn't like it. I NEVER take a single bite of meat without thinking that it was once a living, breathing creature. Well, to be honest, I don't usually think about that when I'm eating shrimp. If we're going to be meat eaters, we at least need to give the animals some quality of life, along with a quick, painless (as possible) death.

Can't we be meat eaters and still be concerned with animal torture?

And how the heck did this thread get on abortion????

1. profile image0

I said murder. It went downhill from there. We're done with the aside.

2. Alastar Packer profile image72
        Alastar Packerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi habee, thank you. You bring up a good point. The problem often comes from cutting corners for the sake of profit. Most workers that do this onerous job do their best to kill the animals as mercifully as possible when the proper guide-lines and equipment is in place. The job has a tendency to cause callousness as a defense against the psychic toil of killing on an industrial scale. For the most part these folks should be sympathized with. The problem again is when the guide-lines are not followed and equipment is not keep in top operating order.

I'm with you on the animal flesh. Being a lacto-vegetarian(eggs, milk, cheese,etc) seems a good middle ground to strive for in one desiring to cease beef, pork and fowl. Some folk choose to eat only small portions of meat and don't particularly enjoy it when they do. Its not so much a matter of choice as it is method. In a perfect world perhaps safe synthetic good tasting flesh could replace the present way. Of course that has the potential to create another problem as concerns employment dis-placement for example. There are no easy answers but I do believe the time has come for humanity to make choices on how we want to proceed into the future with this- in far too many cases- brutal situation.

12. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

No matter how you look at it, we are still a PART of food chain. Eat or be eaten. Can you stop eating meat? Until then you don't have a right to talk about it. You ARE in it. You ARE the monster, a carnivorous animal. Me too, me too. I have a cooked chicken in my lunch bag. The point that I did not kill him personally is not valid. He is still being killed for the pleasure of mine.

13. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

All i know is..if the animals and humans were both starving. the animal would not hesitate to look at you as dinner...

1. profile image0

This is very true.  But we humans do like to pretend that we are different to the rest of the animal kingdom.  We shower and have qualifications.  We listen to Mozart and have lavender scented toilet cleaner.  We read poetry and laugh at George W. Bush.  Yet experience a bit of grumbling in our stomach, and our fangs come out and we sink them  into the nearest pet pussy.  We aren't all that different after all.

14. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

Exactly the reason why I do not believe into 'intelligent design' - nothing intelligent can be in this juxtaposition.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)