Dahlia Flower profile image 59

Is it legal to paint a painting we see someone else has created as long as we copy only by eye?

I took an art course once. The professor kept telling us to find images in art books and copy them by eye. She said practicing this way is one of the main ways to learn to paint. She didn't say to trace the image or I would have thought to question it. But for years now I've wondered if it's legal to copy (not trace or use a lightbox, but just draw it by eye and paint it in the way we see the original artist did) so long as we don't sell our rendition of the painting. Does anyone know whether this breaks a copyright law? I've tried to research this many times and never found an answer.

nateismguru profile image80

nateismguru says

MickS profile image77

MickS says

wirewoman profile image52

wirewoman says