jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)

I find myself oddly stumped...

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 weeks ago

Though I have been taking photographs ever since age 8, when my dad got me a Kodak Brownie box camera, and I've even written hubs on various aspects of photography how-to's...tonight, I came across a new issue.

That being--how do I set the white balance for mixed lighting?  I want to take promotional photos of my foster kittens, to make people want to snap them right up when they come up for adoption, but my lighting source is mixed. 

I prefer not to use flash; it's not flattering, as it's a harsh light.  But the overhead lights, are mixed between LEDs, incandescent, and fluorescent.  (Long story--but for the moment, unavoidable--blame the budget.)

I'm shooting with a Nikon Coolpix S550--basically a point-and-shoot; though it does have some adjustments, as for white balance, flash adjustments (auto; forced; red-eye reduction).   And, if I pay attention, it is nice enough to tell me shutter speed and f-stop.  If I only use the office lighting, I'll get 1/60 @ f 3.5.  Not sure that will quite cut it with squirmy kittens...LOL

But, the white balance is my main issue...

1. jackclee lm profile image72
      jackclee lmposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

Taking photos of animals are always difficult. I suggest using diffused lighting and without flash. Keep something white in the background which can be used as a reference later. If need, use a photo editing tool to adjust color balance and contrast. Good luck.

DzyMsLizzyposted 13 days agoin reply to this

Thanks, jacklee Im,

I realize the difficulty with animals; it always requires a helper.  That is not my issue.
        I don't have a real studio setup; I can't afford all that.  The best I could manage to do 'diffused lighting' would be to take my 150 Watt photoflood lamp, and aim it at the ceiling, for bounced lighting.
          My issue is the fact that, because of where my shooting area has to be set up, I am dealing with mixed lighting sources,, and I'm not sure how to set the white balance in the camera for that situation.
        I already use photoshop, and know how to make those adjustments, but it it was not right at the time the picture was taken, that doesn't always give great results, either.

jackclee lmposted 13 days agoin reply to this

Try using your iPhone camera. I am always surprised of how good a result it gets with no additional lighting.

DzyMsLizzyposted 13 days agoin reply to this

I don't have an iPhone.

jackclee lmposted 13 days agoin reply to this

Csn you borrow one from a friend? It is very popular now. You can email it to your account.

working