Does it matter to you if Jesus's skin color was Black or White?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (40 posts)
  1. profile image53
    graceinusposted 9 years ago

Does it matter to you if Jesus's skin color was Black or White?

I am so sick and tired of people making a issue out of what color Jesus was or what color were the twelve tribes of Israel or if God is black or white. For me, I personally I DON'T CARE what color any of them were or are. There is no verses in the bible that I know of that makes an "issue" out of skin color of people in the bible. So why do people who are suppose to be believers make an issue out of it?

2. tsadjatko profile image66
    tsadjatkoposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12187183_f260.jpg

I'll tell you why it matters, because for the most part the groups who create an issue of this have beliefs to varying degrees that are unbiblical. Above everything else, the most crucial error is a misunderstanding, or in some cases denial, of who Jesus Christ is, what He taught, and how His death and resurrection provide the way of salvation.

What these groups believe is far more important than their ancestry.

Black Hebrew groups characterized as black supremacist by the SPLC include the Nation of Yahweh and the Israelite Church of God in Jesus Christ. The Anti-Defamation League has written that the "12 Tribes of Israel" website, maintained by a Black Hebrew group, promotes black supremacy.

Black Hebrew Israelites (also Black Hebrews, African Hebrew Israelites, and Hebrew Israelites) are groups of African Americans mainly in the United States who believe they are descendants of the ancient Israelites. Black Hebrews adhere in varying degrees to the religious beliefs and practices of mainstream Judaism. Many Black Hebrews consider themselves—and not mainstream Jews of European descent—to be the only authentic descendants of the ancient Israelites. Many choose to identify as Hebrew Israelites or Black Hebrews rather than as Jews to indicate their claimed historic connections.

I submit that close examination of any "church" that makes a doctrine of the idea that Jesus or the tribe of Judah was black will show that there is some sort of heresy at work in their beliefs and practices at worst and at best manipulation of the black minority for questionable motives which are not spiritual.

A straight forward look at the history of the life of Jesus in the Gospels notes He was the virgin-born son of a Hebrew woman from the town of Nazareth in the modern-day nation of Israel. A descendant of Jews, Jesus would have certainly been born with a Jewish complexion, typically consisting of an olive, light brown skin tone. This is also supported by the fact that Jesus fit well within His local Jewish culture and was known as being from Nazareth and being a Galilean (Matthew 26:69). Read more: http://www.compellingtruth.org/was-Jesus-black.htm.

The evidence clearly supports the view that Jesus was an ethnic Jew with a Jewish complexion. This Jewish Messiah is the One who calls those of every background to come to Him for salvation (Acts 4:12), offering eternal life to all who believe (John 3:16). And the color of His or anyone's skin has nothing to do with that.

1. profile image53
      graceinusposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your comment. In all my years of studying the bible I have never read a chapter or verse that made issue of one's race, have you?  Again thanks for commenting.

2. tsadjatko profile image66
      tsadjatkoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Authentic Christianity transcends race&ethnicity. There is no black or white cultural value system in the Bible there is a humanity system recognizing that we are all made in the image of God,sinners in need of redemption- through Jesus Christ.

3. profile image53

tsadjatko- I believe your right. Again thanks.

4. Zelkiiro profile image87
      Zelkiiroposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Welp, can't argue with you on this one. Jesus, assuming he was a real guy, would have been a perfectly-normal Middle Eastern-looking fellow. I recall the Isaiah prophecies stating the messiah would be someone of average appearance, so it checks out.

5. profile image53

I was reading someone's answer to this question and deleted the answer/comment by mistake. I'm sorry about that. You're welcome to try again.

6. profile image0
      Sherry Thornburgposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Graceinus, there was only one I ever noticed, when Moses married a woman from Ethiopia and his sister complained about it.  She was chastised for her attitude by both Moses and God. She was struck with  leprosy. Ironic, as it made her stark white.

7. profile image53

Sherry Thornburg- Can you provide the Chapter and verses of your information. I wouldn't mined reading it? Did shecomplain because her sister became white or because she was struck with loprosy? Thanks

8. Rich kelley profile image60
      Rich kelleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Why then were you not afraid To speak against My servant Moses?" This is why the leprosy. Numbers 12:1-15

9. profile image53

Rich- Thank you for the info.

10. Ericdierker profile image44
      Ericdierkerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I thank you also Rich. What and interesting portion when taken in light of this subject. Who among is white as snow?

11. Rich kelley profile image60

"Who among is white as snow?"
      From my readings, everyone that repents and calls on the name of Jesus.

3. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

nope, it doesn't matter as michael jackson said, no matter black or white, what matter most is how did Jesus teach and how well did people embrace his teaching. If Jesus was a woman, it is the same too.

1. tsadjatko profile image66

Well I never heard anyone use Michael Jackson to support a theological viewpoint, but you are right on peachpurple! Embrace Jesus, His book, and don't judge Him by his cover (color) :-)

2. profile image53

peachpurple- Thanks for your answer. I agree. " No matter black or white."
      Again thanks.
      Tsad- At the end of each of your comment it reads in red "This comment is awaiting moderation." Third time I seen this on your comments. What's going on?

3. tsadjatko profile image66

I sent you an email - you need to moderate it, mark it not spam

4. profile image53

Tsad At the risk of sounding stupid what e-mail I haven't seen it and if I click "Not spam"  on your comment does that clear it up?

5. tsadjatko profile image66

It should, I emailed you through fanmail on hubpages, is that email you have there still good? search., you check all your emails from hub pages or tsadjatko?

6. profile image53

Tsad- I discovered my e-mail address was short by to letters and corrected it, so if you wish try again. And I'll clicked both "Not spam" on both your comments and see what happens, thanks

4. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 9 years ago

Let me just throw this out for consumption. God is not the absence of being something but rather the inclusion of all things. I think Paul was writing to some new church and mentioned about being all things to all people --- how much more so is God.
    Just as the folks talked in tongues understood by all. God is all things in appearance to all people. So in my humble mind; yes He was black and yes he was any color to anyone who met Him. Why not?!
    I go back to the theory of speaking in tongues. How could that be. How could God be all colors? Easy for God.
    I wonder in the non-scriptural notion of the wise men/majji did they see him as Eastern, did the Samarian see him thusly?
    So I am a great big white guy with some Irish and American Indian roots that make me look near Southeast Asian. To me, Too me Christ looked just like me.
    Perhaps I am wrong. But I know for a fact in my heart that up on that place with Elijah and Moses he was very near just beautiful light.

1. Rich kelley profile image60

John 4:9  Then the woman of Samaria said to Him, "How is it that You, being a Jew, ask a drink from me, a Samaritan woman?" For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans.
      I suspect that Christ looked like a Jew that He was and the Samaritan women saw.

2. Ericdierker profile image44
      Ericdierkerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I likely presume that his appearance had nothing to do with her knowledge of his Gospel. She knew him a Jew by his preaching and not by his sight. Yea that I walk with no sight I know you by name and adore you by the words you speak, even though.

3. profile image53

Eric- Thanks for your comment. I beleive that race is another issue that satan uses to distract follower of Jesus from a more valueable subject which is the Kingdom of God. Issue of color is just one more subject that adds to distraction from truth.

4. Rich kelley profile image60

John 4:9 was the initial meeting before any preaching.  All she initially had to go on was his looks and the sound of His voice saying "give me a drink". preaching followed knowing He was a Jew.

5. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

rich-  amen

5. cbl12 profile image73
    cbl12posted 9 years ago

Not really, in that it should not matter what Colour we are, since as the Reverand Doctor Martin Luther King said, we should not be judged by the colour of our skin, but by the content of our character - and His ( that of Jesus ) is Perfect. Now I do believe though that Jesus was olive skinned, as those in the Mediterranean are, and He should always be shown that way, if only for the sake of authenticity. I understand some people object to a white skinned, blue eyed Jesus as not relating to them, but they miss the point. Show Him as He really was, but understand that He is the Saviour of all mankind for all sins for all time, since when all is said and done, very little is mentioned in the Bible about the appearance of Christ, since He was not there to be looked at, but to save us, which He did.

1. profile image53

cbl12- Thank you very much for your comment. I agree, in my opinion it's the charcter and perfection of Jesus that is most important. The color of His skin is a non-issue.

6. willbelove profile image60
    willbeloveposted 9 years ago

Sometimes it does matter when I am feeling marginalized because of my race. Most of the time is does not because no matter His skin color He still suffered, died and was resurrected for me.

1. Rich kelley profile image60

His shed blood was red much like ours only His wasn't tainted with sin.

2. profile image53

willbelove- Thank you for your answer I can understand how one my feel mistrated or marginalized at times. No one should have to go through that. I agree, He suffered, died and was resurrected for all our sins. Regardless of our skin color or His.

7. Edward J. Palumbo profile image84
    Edward J. Palumboposted 9 years ago

I assume Jesus was dark-skinned and a product of His culture. Doesn't matter how black, brown or white He may have been, because it changes nothing of His testimony, teaching or example. Lacking any other reference point, every culture seems to depict Him in such a way that that nationality or culture can better identify with Him but, if He is accepted or rejected on the basis of how "brown" He is, then His message was clearly missed.

1. profile image0
      Sherry Thornburgposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Agree with you totally.  HIs skin tone would have been a genetic thing. His message is what matters.

2. profile image53

Palumbo- Good seeing you again, it's been a while. Thanks for your answer. I agree with all of it.

8. PlanksandNails profile image81
    PlanksandNailsposted 9 years ago

It doesn't matter.

All people on this planet have descended from Adam and Eve, which would means that we are all related in some way. Genetics have created differences in skin color, etc.., but in terms of being part of the Body of Christ (Ekklesia), physically differences are of no matter and are eliminated by the oneness that all true believers share.

Those who harp on these differences are using them to further a man-made agenda.

1. profile image53

PandN- Thanks for your answer. I believe most who have provided their answer have pretty much said the same thing. If one is in the body of Christ then race should be a non-issue as I'm sure it was a non-issue at the beginning of the ekklesia.

9. Chriswillman90 profile image90
    Chriswillman90posted 9 years ago

It shouldn't matter what his skin color is but that's how our nation is in a nutshell. It shouldn't matter if we're black or white but it still does. If we use that approach and apply it to Jesus, then I can see why people care about his skin color so much.

Jesus is considered pure and good so what difference does it matter who he is. Would you be angry if he was dark or light skinned? I don't understand the logic of some of these people. It was his actions that mattered not what he looked like. I wouldn't care what his skin color was as long as he's still the person we believe to be good and loving to everyone.

1. profile image53

Chriswilliam90- Thanks for your answer.

10. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
    bradmasterOCcalposted 9 years ago

It only matters,if you believe in the premise in the first place.

1. profile image53

BradmasterOCcal- Thanks for your comment. For those who think it matters, then you have missed the whole point of why God sent Jesus to us in the first place. God's Kingdom is for anyone who seeks after it regardless of the color you've been given.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)