jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should Photography Be Classified As Art Or Science?

1. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 7 years ago

Should Photography Be Classified As Art Or Science?

2. relache profile image90
    relacheposted 7 years ago

When you talk about composition of photographs, aesthetics and the like, it's an art.

When you get into manually developing film, it's chemistry, which is a science.

3. FranyaBlue profile image81
    FranyaBlueposted 7 years ago

Strange, I was actually just asking myself this same question today....and then I found that you have asked it on here!

I came to the decision that the resulting images are art but there is a science behind capturing a good picture....a science that includes maths such as the rule of thirds etc

4. Peter Creighton profile image61
    Peter Creightonposted 7 years ago

The answer is both. We like to divide our world into two parts in modern western society without realising that it is simply a logical tool we use to make the world easier to understand.
    Some examples of this dualistic approach we like to use are:

Right - Wrong
    On - Off
    Yes - No

...the list goes on. In reality life just isn't that simple or black and white (another one). This relates to your question very easily. The ancient greeks did not differentiate in this way so art WAS technical and science all rolled into one...or to be more specific, not yet divided.

Guess what their word for art was. Techné. The mother of our modern day words technology and technical. So the answer is actually both...

Hope this helps and apologies if I sound pretentious in any way...it's only because I buzz off looking at how we see the world.

working