Is "Grim and Dark" viable anymore? Discuss

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Asyrdar profile image60
    Asyrdarposted 14 years ago

Ill make this brief and leave this open. With the popularity of mainstream, predictable fantasy novels rising (Twilight and Harry Potter, I apologize for any offense I cause, this is after all a discussion of opinion.), are authors who prefer to write seedier and more shocking, dark fantasy going to have a chance to make it big in the world, in this current age of pop culture writing?

I personally have faith. I have to; I consider myself a "grim and dark" writer, though the only Hub I have posted certainly is far from dark. But Im more interested in hearing what you all have to say. (And check out episode 1 of "Crusades and Holocausts" if you're into the fantasy writing thing)

Let me know your opinion!

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You should remember that Twilight and Harry Potter are for kids....and, lol, (sorry), others who want to read at that level.  I cannot imagine the appeal personally, and haven't read any of either series.  The chick who wrote the Twilight stuff I KNOW was packaged as a business deal...she lives in Phoenix, AZ.

I think there will always be a market for good writing of any genre.  You might not have the above kind of "success," but frankly, would you want it anyway?

2. rsmallory profile image68
    rsmalloryposted 14 years ago

I think reality is 'grim and dark' right now for a lot of people and we're all just looking for a light at the end of the tunnel.

3. embitca profile image82
    embitcaposted 14 years ago

Has dark fantasy ever actually made it big? I don't think so. I suppose Clive Barker might be considered dark fantasy, but then again I'd only say that about the Books of Blood. His novels usually end fairly upbeat.

And what is your definition of grim and dark?? Everything Dennis Lehane writes is incredibly grim and unrelentingly so (too much so for me) and yet he's a top selling novelist and his books will all wind up being adapted into films.

But these are crime novels, not dark fantasy. If I want grim and dark, I usually look in the Crime section at the bookstore, not SF/Fantasy section. Hell, I consider most episodes of L&O: Special Victims Unit to be pretty grim and episodes often end on a very downbeat, hopeless note... and it happens so often I stopped watching.

Or how about movies like Saw or Hostel? Do they count?

Generally, I'm looking for escapism, not depression. I think that's how most people feel about their entertainment.

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Have you read Harry Potter?  I've read the early books and thought they were far less "grim and dark" than a lot of traditional fairy tales.

Remember the main protagonists in Harry Potter are on the side of the light,and good triumphs over evil.

5. Watch Tower profile image60
    Watch Towerposted 14 years ago

I agree with rsmallory comment.  In that if ones reality is perceived to be dark  and nasty, then people will ant to escape that realty and into light and warm fuzzy world. My own feeling is akin to this line of thinking. War movies, why would I want to watch them ? if I want to see war I just turn on my television for the Main News broadcast.

Tradinal fairy tales were very dark and Grim, many of the Brothers grims tales. were lightened and the grimness removed. so the Modren versions of these classics are watered down so much they no longer really give you the taste of the dark side.

A side note as I can not resit  the Harry Potter books. The first books are fairly light, however they do grow a lot darker as Harry himself grows up. as far s Kid Books, and reading at that level. I actually found the Series to be a good read, you can see J K Rowling world behind and between the lines,Its complete, its been well thought out and mapped and I personally found it a much better read than many so called "grown Up " Novels of trash that is published. Just in case you are wondering, What I watch and what I read is based solely on its on content and merit. I do not follow the flock, just because something is popular doesn't mean its any good.

6. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Just as a different frame of reference, I love fairy tales and I love the Brother's Grimm.  There was much truth and wisdom (and light and darkness...in short, reality) in the stories told in the middle ages...and traditionally, these tales weren't for children.

I'm not the only one who thinks this way.  So did the poet Anne Sexton.  And I believe there are quite a few quality fiction writers who took as the bones for a plot fairy tales like Beauty and the Beast, etc.

7. Earthscribe profile image77
    Earthscribeposted 14 years ago

I agree Lita, a different frame of referrence.

One of my favorite authors is Clive Barker... not for his horror, but for his fantasy. I say fantasy for lack of a better term, since it isn't the typical swords & sorcery type of fantasy. His works such as The Great and Secret Show and  Imajicka are very dark; he just seems to use elements that I recognize as part of a realistic apprehension of life's shadow aspects. I am attracted to that not to glorify the dark, but in recognition of its reality. Whereas other, lighter writers paint an unrealistic picture of good vs. evil -- it's not that black and white. I think writers that exemplify the ambiguity & interplay of shade are vilified because of popular belief in black and white contraries.

Sexton -- one of my favorites. And Emily Dickenson, who was far more dark than we were led to believe in grade school! Camille Paglia writes an amazing treatment of the cthonic trends in "Sexual Personae: Art & Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily Dickenson"... I highly reconmmend it!

8. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

I work in a book shop and I can say that hundreds of authors have written vampire romance novels recently thanks to 'Twilight'. It has drained any origional romance from the true horror days and make it cheesy and corny...and trust me on that - I'm a true horror fan.

9. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

The only way you can make things grim and dark now-a-days is to pour your every sinew into a piece of work and see what comes out.

10. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Just judging from the responses I see here, I do believe there is a market for "grim and dark," even among people who want escapism. (It's just that for those, good still has to triumph.)In comics, the belief is at the moment that the supply of escapist tales like superhero stories is actually exceeding the market. The pendulum is swinging toward more crime and horror.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)