If I were going to jump into quilting, would it be possible to do it by hand?

1. BetteMachete profile image76
    BetteMacheteposted 7 years ago

If I were going to jump into quilting, would it be possible to do it by hand?

Could it be done with a simple all square, same size cut squares of different fabrics? Im not a sewer, im an artist, but I need to make this, I've been thinking about it for so long. Any tips for a simplistic, crude, functional "quilt?" Any impressions or thoughts are appreciated.

2. profile image48
    Kathryn Bradleyposted 7 years ago

It is possible to do by hand, this is what our ancestors did, however.....it is time consuming and labor intensive.  What are you exactly trying to do?  If it is a simple all squares the same size quilt you are trying to make, you should by all means begin sewing them together block by block.  I would recommend that you lay them all out first to determine what is pleasing to your eye for colors, textures, patterns etc.  Then mark the top row A-1 - through your # of blocks, the second row B-1 through your # of blocks. continue this till the rows are all marked.  This will keep your blocks organized till your rows are put together..  After your quilt top is pieced you will begin the quilting or tying process.  Would love to help you with the process.  Feel free to contact me, I love to help.  kathrynquilts01@yahoo.com

3. profile image0
    WildIrisposted 7 years ago

Yes, of course you could make a quilt by hand. Your stitching needs to be precise, but with practice it will become that way. I've found that the back stitch is more accurate than a forward going stitch. I have a neighbor who sews quilts by hand. You might want to make your squares at least 3" with 1/2" seam allowance.

working