jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How to mark a quilt for hand-quilting

1. Carb Diva profile image96
    Carb Divaposted 4 years ago

How to mark a quilt for hand-quilting

I quilt by hand and typically do "stitch in the ditch" or shadow quilting. If you also quilt by hand (and want to do a more challenging design than SITD or shadow), what is your preferred method of marking the quilting pattern?

2. Millionaire Tips profile image93
    Millionaire Tipsposted 4 years ago

I was taught to mark the quilting pattern lightly on the fabric using a pencil, chalk, or an ink that will disappear when washed or pressed.

3. Carb Diva profile image96
    Carb Divaposted 4 years ago

Perhaps I should have been more specific in my question. I would like to know what pencils, chalk, etc. you have found best for marking (AND removing).

4. JanTUB profile image89
    JanTUBposted 2 years ago

Hello Carb Diva
    There many excellent tools and accessories to mark your quilts with quilt designs. I have made many, many quilts and have tried almost every method around, and I  keep going back to my old faithful Chalkoner.
    I only like the white chalk, as it leaves no residue when brushed away, even on darks.
    The tool is like a thick pencil, but has a very fine wheel in the tip, which draws a very fine line on your fabric. You can draw through stencils because the tip is tapered into a flattish point.
    Hope you found this helpful.
    Jan T

working