jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Hi, I love to do all sorts of crafts but in particular cross-stitch and knittin

1. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 7 years ago

I love to do all sorts of crafts but in particular cross-stitch and knitting. I have made...

a few attmepts to get the hang of crotchet - even buying the supposedly 'idiot-proof'' guides but just can't get the hang it of it at all. My fingers just don't want to do what they are supposed to do. Do any experienced crotchet crafters think this might be because I learned knitting before crotchet, so I'm used to two needles? Either that, I'm maybe just totally dumb when it comes to crotchet.

2. Sweetsusieg profile image84
    Sweetsusiegposted 7 years ago

YouTube has some awesome videos on 'how to' crochet!  I love it, and do both kitting and crocheting.  I just learned how to use the Afghan stitch (or Tunisian as it is called).

Personally I would worry about 'how to hold' the hook when learning, do what ever is comfortable for you.  I never learned to hold it the 'proper' way.  I hold it with my hand on top of the hook.  My Mom and Grandma held it like a fork, I hold it like a starving person holds a spoon.  Some of the tutorials I've seen make the 'yarn' hand the busy hand, so there are many ways to crochet....

No you are NOT to dumb to learn it!!! 

Just give it another chance... you'll do GREAT!!

3. Ivorwen profile image74
    Ivorwenposted 7 years ago

I learned to crochet when I was four years old, so I know that anyone with a bit of persistence can learn.  I also knit, but did not learn that until I was an adult. 

When teaching crochet, the problem I have seen people have again and again is getting the tension right.  If you are having trouble with yarn ending up too tight, try switching to cotton thread.  Experiment with things until you find what works for you, and if you know someone who crochets, ask for them to guide you a bit. 

I too (like Sweetsusieg) hold the hook from the top, in my right hand, and the yarn in the left hand.  My son handles it differently, but the end results are the same.  There are many ways to crochet, originating in different countries.

4. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 7 years ago

Thank you Sweetsusieg and Ivorwen. I hadn't thought about 'You Tube'. I have been very strict and was only using the yarn and hook like in the book demo so will certainly go with both your suggestions. Many thanks again!!!

5. Williamson138 profile image58
    Williamson138posted 7 years ago

I had the same problem, but I am a fast learner so I eventually got it with the help of Youtube. It really helps. But if you can't get it or want to learn a new craft I can help you learn to do origami!

6. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image80
    KoffeeKlatch Galsposted 7 years ago

I don't believe you are dumb about crocheting.  I just think you are trying to hold the crochet hook like you hold the knitting needles.  I agree with Sweetsusieg, Youtube has some really great instructional videos.

7. Suzanne Day profile image95
    Suzanne Dayposted 7 years ago

It took me a few attempts to master crotchet too. I tried as a child and couldn't get the hang of it. Then I tried again 10 years later and finally got it and it is now one of my favourite crafts. It's worth persisting.

The idea is to start by doing single crotchets only. When you've done a foundation chain and worked a few rows in single crotchet, then you will be ready for other things. But doing those first few rows of sc can be quite tricky and involves a lot of pulling it apart and trying again and having patience.

If someone can show you how to do it in person (or maybe the YouTube movies as mentioned), it is a lot easier than following book diagrams. Good luck!

8. nicolestrovich548 profile image61
    nicolestrovich548posted 5 years ago

I also have ton's of cross stitch at my house and what I did was place it on a frame with a cork tile flooring at the back. It is really goo. If you wan to try go to http://corkboardsheets.com