Crochet vs Knit

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I'm considering learning how to knit, but I'm wondering how it compares to crochet - easier or harder?  quicker or slower?

I've been crocheting on and off for years and I'm not great but I can follow a pattern - I've done some baby clothes, lots of scarves, many throws and blankets.  When browsing patterns (as I was just now for fingerless gloves) all the knit pieces look so much nicer and more professional, which is why I'm wondering if I could easily learn to knit...emphasis on "easily!"

1. Chris Simiriglia profile image60
      Chris Simirigliaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I learned to crochet as a child, and knit in mid-life.  Learning to knit is a little more difficult and had a bit of a learning curve.  Crochet yields quicker results but gives a much different fabric. I use both on many projects... knitting a sweater with a crochet collar or trim... knitting a hat with crochet flower embellishments.

Give knitting a try. But here is my caution... it may lead to spinning, weaving and felting.  I'm a wool addict!!!!

Good luck.

2. AtomicLuLu profile image64
      AtomicLuLuposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Crochet and Knitting offer two very different types of textile forms. We think they are similar but looking at construction they are very different. I have done both my whole life and revisited each at different periods to give the other a break.

Depending on what I am knitting and the technique I am using (circular, magic loop, cottage production) I can knit faster than I can crochet. I walk on my treadmill knitting.

One site I would suggest anyone join is Ravelry.com
      It is a beautiful social network, pattern resource, groups and friends for both knitters and crocheters. Its only a few years old but already has over 1mill users (as of Nov 2010) and is a tremendous resource for any fiber enthusiast. Please let me know if you have any questions about getting started my user name is the same there.

3. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

easy fun smile

2. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Easily - absolutely yes!  It is simply a different way of using your hands with the needles and threads, and a different way of reading patterns and the symbols for stitches.  My daughter does both, enjoys both, and is excellent at both.  I believe you will enjoy it.

One difference is that you may have to reach a little more advanced level in knitting (than you did with crochet) before you can do work in the round.  You'll start off working just in straight rows, most likely.

3. Lily Rose profile image85

Thanks for that, it's very reassuring to hear!  I'm going to begin looking into it!

4. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 13 years ago

Lily I had the same thought years ago,that a lot of knitted items appealed to me, and had a more polished, professional look. 

I have tried to take up knitting multiple times.  One problem was, when I put it down even for a moment, then picked it back up, was that I couldn't tell which direction I was going!  I was okay as long as I only stopped when I got to the end of a row, but sometimes you have to put it down unexpectedly. 

My cousin, who knits and crochets, said knitting was much slower.  My ADD brain at that point said, 'okay, forget it!'

5. Lily Rose profile image85

Hmmm...I have a slightly ADD brain, too, so that issue may be a problem for me as well.  I like to finish what I start, and the faster the better.  Perhaps I'll get the bare essentials and go check a how-to book out of the library.  All I really need to start is a set hooks, right?  Is that what they're called - hooks? Or is it needles?  Or am I not even close?!

1. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you need a pair of needles.  I think the ones attacked by a loop are for socks or something.

6. Aficionada profile image79

LOL!

Knitting needles, crochet hook.  (Yes, the circular needles are for socks and hats and other tube-like pieces.)

ADD can affect different people in different ways, so don't make any presuppositions about it.

If you need help in figuring out where you have left off, when you put your project down for a while, keep a pencil handy to mark in the instructions where you stop.  When you pick up the needles again, notice how the yarn is trailing (from a stitch) and that should help give you a clue about which direction you are moving in at that point.

There are some great websites that have pictures and even videos to help people learn to knit.  You might want to check out some of them.  (There are probably some Hubs too!)

7. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

I can't do either and am very impressed with anyone who can!  cool

8. Aficionada profile image79

Lily Rose -

When I wrote my post about noticing which way the yarn was trailing (as a way to keep up with where you leave off working), I couldn't figure out the best way to describe it, because each time I came up with a mental image it looked different! 

I finally figured out why.  I learned how to knit when I was pretty young and kept up with it off and on until I was a young adult.  Then, when I lived in Germany for a year, I learned a different way of holding the needles and pulling the yarn over one needle to make a new stitch.

After I had tried to come up with the best way to describe all of this in my earlier post, I came across some great YouTube videos that show up-close views of hands, needles, yarn, and the entire process.  And I learned that the two main ways of holding the needles are called the English Method (the way I learned as a child) and the Continental Method (the way I learned in Germany). 

The YouTube videos are sooooo helpful.  They all pretty much recommend learning the English Method first, because it seems to be easier for a beginner.  But the Continental Method moves along faster, once you know how to work that way.

1. apStumbo profile image82
      apStumboposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have seen the German way of knitting and I was very intrigued. I attempted to pick it up, but it was much different.

2. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you crochet, learn Continental (German) knitting. 
      It is easy, it is quick. 

I learned to crochet when I was 4, and taught myself to knit  as an adult, by sound.  Have you ever noticed that when books mention someone knitting, they talk about fingers flying and the sound of the the needles?  Well, I realized that the way most people knit made no sound, and it always seemed quite slow to me, so I began experimenting.  I naturally came up with the continental method, after looking at a sweater and making sure my needles 'clacked'. 

I am having trouble finding a well done video on youtube, that shows how simple it can be, but this one is fair:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nde3eET4 … re=related

Oh, and I hold the yarn the exact same way whether I am knitting or crocheting.

9. Bel Marshall profile image61
    Bel Marshallposted 13 years ago

Youtube videos are awesome for this!  I crochet and have considered taking up knitting but the thought of trying to manage two needles...not so sure.

10. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I think it's easier to crochet.  It's one hook vs. two kneedles - I think knitting is way harder and haven't really attmepted it.

11. apStumbo profile image82
    apStumboposted 13 years ago

Honestly, I was feeling the same way the other day. I have always said that crocheting is much better than knitting. This is because for me it is much more versatile. I feel like I am free to stray from patterns and create my own projects (I have made a book bag, cell phone case, purse all from scratch). Crocheting also finishes a project much quicker...
    But, just two days ago I was noticing how much more attractive knit caps and gloves were than my crocheted projects. So I think it can be important to know both. Crocheting can be amazing for some projects, but so can knitting. If I was to go on a long road trip I would probably take up a knitting project.

12. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I prefer crochet.

Learned both as a child and preferred knitting at that time, but never got good at it.  A number of years ago, tried again and preferred crochet - made a few afghans.

I'd say its different for everyone.  Good luck & Hope it works out for you!

13. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

My mum (who was German) taught me the Continental method.  It works well for me, probably because it's what I'm used to!  I've designed a few of my own sweaters (had to, because I can't read knitting patterns to save my life - they might as well be in Chinese).

Having taught myself how to do aran style knitting (cable and moss stitch) I would now like to learn lace stitches - I think YouTube is the way to go there!

14. heart4theword profile image60
    heart4thewordposted 13 years ago

I like both, and it depends on what I am making, whether I knit or crochet.  I had a scarf I wanted to get done quickly, so I did crochet it!  Maybe it is just me, but I start more than one project at a time...so when my hand got tired of crocheting, I started a knitted scarf:) 

I do like knitting better than crocheting..for some reason many knitters feel that knitting is more rewarding.  Maybe that is because it is more challenging:) 

It does take longer most of the time, yet I believe it is a warmer product because of the density of the item:)

As some mentioned youtube is awesome to help you promote to more challenging items:)  If you can learn from a friend, it would be easier:)  Thanks for bringing this topic up, it is always fun to talk about this craft of art!

15. profile image0
    Helpful Hannaposted 13 years ago

Start with crochet.  It is a bit easier.  Later, you can tackle knitting.  Have fun!

16. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

I do both and I'm left handed - I knit left handed and crochet left handed.

Knitting tutorials on youtube are awesome for right handed people.  I use circular needles for everything and I don't like the long needles, you just need to remember to turn your work.  As an instructor once told me, ALWAYS finish your row unless the house is on fire! lol  I suggest you start out easy, using a bigger needle size 10 to 15 and chunky yarn and do a simple scarf. Beginning with a larger needle and chunky yarn is easy & you can knit & pearl throughout the scarf to practice both stitches.

I find crocheting much faster but I do like the look of knitting a bit more.  However, I found some adorable crocheted hats on youtube - this one gal has a ton of tutorials, she shows you how to do each row & has instructions to print off of her web page.  The hats can be done in 2 hours. 

Good luck.

17. BigSerious profile image86
    BigSeriousposted 13 years ago

I started with crochet (did it for 15 years) before forcing myself to self-teach knitting. I wanted to make garments and I did not like any crochet patterns (these days, there are some great ones out there, but limited). After I learned to knit, I became obsessed with knitting. I was surprised to learn, thinking crochet to be the easier skill, that there are many knitters who don't know how to crochet and find it difficult. When knitting, all the stitches you work with are in a row on a needle. In crochet, the knitter-learning-crochet says "I have no idea where to my hook! There are so many holes and options!"

I am left handed and was concerned it'd be a problem, but I crochet right handed and I knit continental style (yarn in my left hand).

<URL snipped> has great videos to get you started. I recently taught a friend to knit, and started with socks on a circular needle because you learn so many skills making a sock - she did great. Don't be afraid to start learning on what some consider "advanced." You only need to learn knit and purl, and any project has those two things. It may not look great, but you'll learn a lot of skills in one garment. Straight rows back and forth (like a scarf) can get boring when you just want to go, go, go! Have fun.

18. ShannonSays profile image60
    ShannonSaysposted 13 years ago

I also started with crochet and later learned to knit.  Should you try it, be patient with yourself (not my strong suit), since it will feel like it takes a long time compared to the crochet to which you are accustomed.

I taught myself with the help of a basic book with very good pictures and instructions.  You also should know about this website which has some of the best how-to knitting videos I've seen:

<URL snipped>

Knitting in the round does not seem anymore difficult to me than knitting with straight needles.  The stitches are the same. 

The continental method of knitting is faster than the english method.  Knitting help.com gives instructions on both.

From one of my mentors:  knitting uses less yarn than crochet to make the same size piece. 

Finally, snuggle up to someone at your Local Yarn Shop (LYS) and ask them advice now and then. There are so many people who love to share their craft with new knitters.

Good luck!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)