jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do people think it is OK to steal images from the internet?

1. beolens profile image60
    beolensposted 7 years ago

Why do people think it is OK to steal images from the internet?

The question speaks for its self really, bt many people seem to be under the impression that if they see an image on the internet they are free to use it however they want why  is this? Photographers spend a lot of time and money to achieve their photographs they shold be respected in the same way as any other art form.

2. medor profile image64
    medorposted 7 years ago

stealing is stealing.. that is the answer.  It is never ok to steal.  images on the internet belong to those who created them, just like the written word, songs, etc...

3. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 7 years ago

I think some people are genuinely unaware that images are protected by copyright, even if it doesn't have a copyright symbol on it.  I totally agree with your point, I just think there is a lot of ignorance.  I use stock photo sites and I always credit the photographer on my hubs.

4. Cogitationalist profile image64
    Cogitationalistposted 7 years ago

Even in the few answers here, people widely determine the internet to be a 'anything goes' public domain. Most people, if anything, think exactly what these here are answering, that if it's on the internet it's for the public.

That's absurdly incorrect. The internet is not the public dumping zone where anything you see is yours for the taking.

This default thought is driven by obscene selfishness and lack of consideration.

You don't google 'Mona Lisa' and just right click, save file and boom that's now yours. Why? Because you recognize the Mona Lisa as someone else's production, someone else's work, someone else's property. Do you make it your wallpaper or phone background? Yeah, sure.

It all lies within what you choose to do with what you find. Some things you can do are considered commercial. Some are not. There are different forms of 'rights' to things. If I create a font and it's available for download on a public site, is it free? You don't know until you've read into it far enough, just being able to download it and use it immediately doesn't make it free. It may be royalty free, but not commercial free. It may be free for personal use, but require licensing for commercial use.

Generally, through sheer will of giving credit where credit is due, people should always seek the true source of any image they find on the internet and look to fulfill the requests of the provider of said image.

Many shy away from costs that come with downloading images, but more often than not, people just want credit and recognition, artists usually, but people in general don't want to be overlooked and may be seeking compensation.

Even if it's entirely in the form of acknowledgement.

5. LuisEGonzalez profile image86
    LuisEGonzalezposted 7 years ago

OK, I'm going to try this once more, since my last posting on this subject seemed to "upset" some.

1. If it is on the Internet and was posted by the author with no copyright or such wording, then you really should get permission, but more often than not, giving the credit is enough. (it's usually taken as getting free publicity) and postings on such a domain with no clear intention as to copyright or ownership is generally viewed as constituting permission to use in most instances. Sorts of common practice. And posting work on the Net as a means of receiving free publicity is a commonly accepted practice amongst photographers.

OK before you tell me I'm wrong and write off a lengthy piece on why I'm wrong, all I AM SAYING is that it is a common practice, whether it's right or wrong.

Ok..no one upset yet? , so let's continue

2.If is on the Internet and posted by the author and has a copyright or such wording, then you must obtain permission, even if you give the proper credit.

Ok that was simple, I hope that no one got mad at me

working