jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Questions About Pixabay

1. EricDockett profile image93
    EricDockettposted 2 months ago

I notice a lot of people recommending Pixabay lately. Does anyone know anything about their process for vetting images uploaded by contributors?

In other words: What's to prevent someone from stealing copyrighted images and uploading them as their own?

I used images from "free" sites when I first started here. I've since moved away from it, because I noticed some concerning practices used by some of the contributors (not on Pixabay).

Pixabay looks really good, and I know they are the up-and-up. Obviously they have some amazing photographers adding content to the site. But I also know it has to be really hard to police all of these contributors from many different countries with many different agendas.

1. promisem profile image94
      promisemposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I use Pixabay quite a bit and always credit the the photos I publish with the Pixabay license. That way the responsibility for vetting goes to Pixabay.

Of course, I will remove any photo that a photographer can claim does not belong on Pixabay and does not have public domain or Creative Commons rights.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image94
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 months agoin reply to this

The real responsibility for placing images on Pixabay belongs to the person who puts them there.  Many do place images they don't have permission to use, but Pixabay tells us all of the images there are public domain, so that's what I go with.  As for people stealing images that you have created and posted there...yes, that's possible, and probably some do.   In my case it doesn't matter because I don't care if people use photos that I've taken,.  I am a terrible photographer so mostly use public domain photos or photos for which I've asked permission, and I always credit them in my hubs.  I also credit Pixabay when I use photos from their site.

From what I've seen many people are quite sloppy about using photos that are not theirs and for which they have no permission.  I see it all the time here on HP.  However, recently a few of them have gotten sued and have had to pay up, so that should be a lesson to everybody.

I think it's important to remember that professional photographers earn their living off of the photos they take, and it is simple theft when you decide it's OK to use them because you are stealing money out of their pockets.  People don't like it when someone steals their hubs, so they shouldn't steal other people's photos!

I really wish the team had the manpower to vet photos here, but they don't.  As a result, people think using illegal photos is OK.  It's not and sooner or later, the lawsuits come.  I feel no mercy for thieves, no matter the site or person they steal from and always hope these people get caught.  Sounds mean, but that's the real bottom line of all of this.

2. CYong74 profile image90
    CYong74posted 2 months ago

There are various ways to embed meta/copyright info within a digital picture. However, I think the real challenge is who would have the time to scour the billions of pictures on the net to prevent copyright infringements.

I think the most Pixabay or any stock library, can do is to perform a very cursory check. In the case of Pixabay, I seriously doubt people would upload stolen images too. There's little monetary gain, if any at all. It's not that great a traffic pusher too.

3. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 months ago

Pixabay has already looked into this problem and it's covered in detail in this help thread:

https://pixabay.com/en/forum/help-me-pl … -use-i-87/

4. bbanks27 profile image83
    bbanks27posted 2 months ago

I use Pixabay a lot. For the source, I type: Pixabay. That's all I do. It's a site that people can upload pictures to that are free to use for anyone. You can also give the person "coffee" to acknowledge their picture.

5. Jean Bakula profile image94
    Jean Bakulaposted 2 months ago

If you click on the picture and make it larger, some photographers ask for acknowledgement that they took the picture. Most allow them to be used though. And they are clear when we put them on HP.

6. poppyr profile image91
    poppyrposted 2 months ago

A lot of pixabay images say "free for commercial use. No citation needed" or something along those lines meaning you dont have to credit the person who uploaded it.

working