jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it just me or has the bar for mediocrity in photography been lowered to the g

1. philosotographer profile image61
    philosotographerposted 6 years ago

Is it just me or has the bar for mediocrity in photography been lowered to the ground??

I ask this because it seems like anyone with a camera can tote and promote themselves as a pro photographer.  It reminds me of the delusional talent that auditions for American Idol, there are some worthy, but most are not.  Don't get me wrong, I give credit where credit is due, but it is so frustrating trying to make a living at photography when your competition is anyone with a camera, undercutting you either price wise or just by simply knowing the person in need of photographic services.  Talent doesn't hardly seem to be a factor anymore.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image87
    LuisEGonzalezposted 6 years ago

The phrase "let the buyer be ware" does apply here. Most people who just hire anyone with a camera don't know what they are getting into until it's too late. I always insist on having a client review my portfolio before signing a contract or putting any money down.

3. Matt in Jax profile image69
    Matt in Jaxposted 6 years ago

I think a lot of people are considering themselves professional photographers when they just have a decent program on their computers and a $200+ camera.
    A lot is more based on skill and overall shot-taking ability than the equipment used though. I do agree with you though, photographer is one of those titles that gets boasted about just a bit too much.

4. profile image0
    Charlinexposted 6 years ago

What do they say? Cream always comes to the top? Don't worry, if you are truly good, you'll shine.

5. FranYo profile image60
    FranYoposted 6 years ago

It's not just you...

Unfortunately, I think the bar for all the arts has been "dumbed down" so much that it's hardly worthwhile to be interested in music or art or dance or photography or writing, et al. 

Too bad, eh?

working